File repositioning

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

File repositioning

Postby Northernpony » 10 Oct 2016, 22:52

Hello
I am new here but am considering purchasing quark for one feature I am looking for. I print a community paper with stories and 16 ads on each page. We would like to have the layers (ads) update and move on the page into the 16 positions each week and then different positions the next week. Linking the layers accomplsihes the update part but is there a way to have 16 layers rotation their places on the layout and follow a patterns for movement each week?
Thank you in advance!
Northernpony

Re: File repositioning

Postby MikeWenzloff » 11 Oct 2016, 07:33

I think the only means to do this--if I am understanding correctly--would be to use tagged text which can build pages and specify locations on a page. I use a third-party XT for tagged text that builds cover pages and ad pages that change each week. I haven't tried, but QXP's own tagged text may (or may not) be able to do this, but the XT does access more of QXP's internal commands. There is a database involved that in turn generates the tagged text.

But even if the tagged text is written manually once, it can be used to generate a box at the push of a button or two to import the ads into. Which, because it is its own text box, can be re-positioned anywhere.

Also, if the ads were brought into its own publication or a vector editing application and arranged, a PDF can be generated which can then be imported and moved to an appropriate page and/or location on the page.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head without perhaps seeing a past issue as a PDF.

Take care, Mike
MikeWenzloff

Return to QuarkXPress 2016: General