Type 1 font problem since 1703 update for Windows 10

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Type 1 font problem since 1703 update for Windows 10

Postby neil » 20 Apr 2017, 09:11

Hi,

Since the 1703 update we've had problems with some fonts in QuarkXPress 2016 (12.2.1 - 28471) and after some investigation it appears they're all Type 1 fonts, specifically multiple versions of Futura, Humanist, Imperial and Swiss.

The fonts appear in the list in Quark (and in other programs where they still work just fine), but in Quark they're simply invisible when we try and use them or load a previous file that contains those fonts. If the "text" is selected it can be changed to another font without a problem and immediately appears, but when it's changed to any of the Type 1 fonts above, it goes back to invisible.

We've tried uninstalling and reinstalling QXP 2016, but that hasn't made any difference. We have 3 other machines still on Windows 10, 1607 running the same version of QXP and they don't have any problem with the fonts. We've also tried uninstall the fonts in question, copying them from the other computers and reinstalling them, but it hasn't made any difference.

We've also tried deleting the font cache (C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT) and rebooting, but it also made no difference.

Any assistance would be much appreciated as we can no longer go back to 1607 on this machine (it was already rolled back once already when the initial problem was found and now the optional to rollback simply isn't there. Thank you in advance!
neil

Re: Type 1 font problem since 1703 update for Windows 10

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 20 Apr 2017, 22:03

Hi,

Kindly move all the fonts (affected family fonts) to a new folder. (e.g. Futura family with TTF and Type 1) and delete the FNTCACHE.dat install only Type 1 font and reboot the system and verify.

Kindly ensure only Type 1 fonts only installed in the system. meanwhile kindly check in other application, listed font is a Type 1 font or TTF/OTF.

Kindly let me know if you are facing any issue and if you have any issues kindly send the collect for output to apalaniappan@quark.com

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 21 Apr 2017, 00:12

Hi,

I have verified in Windows 1703 creators Update and the issue is not reproducing at my end.

Kindly check in the System 32 folder for the 'atmlib.dll'.

If it is not there, kindly download from internet and install and install the Type 1 PS font (with pfm and pfb files) and verify the fonts are reading in QXP or not. (You may download from this link also: http://www.dlldownloader.com/atmlib-dll/)

Kindly let us know your result.

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby neil » 21 Apr 2017, 14:01

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. After more investigation I believe the problem we are having is being caused when the same fonts are installed twice (once as a Type 1 postscript font and also as a TrueType font).

Previously this hasn't caused any issues and Windows has just grouped them together and applications would use either of them, but since 1703 it seems this causes problem and QXP displays only the Type 1 Postscript version, but doesn't display it as mentioned above.

However, removing the Type 1 duplicates and clearing the font cache seems to solve the problem (they're just using the TTF version instead). I'm currently awaiting confirmation from the user in question as to if they're happy the problem is solved, but if you get anyone else say about invisible fonts it might be because they have both types installed for the same font and the workaround is just to remove one of them.

Thanks!
neil

Postby Denis L. » 25 Apr 2017, 07:24

Hi,

Any news on an official fix for this Font problem? I too have Fonts like Futura disappearing from my Quark projects since 1703 Windows update. The weird thing is if I work in Photoshop, all my Fonts work great... but in Quark 2016, some don't work.

What I did is convert all my Futura otf Fonts to ttf and it works but I'm looking for an official fix/patch because I have a great amount of Fonts and I don't want to have to convert all of them. It use to work with all types of fonts before 1703 update.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Denis L.

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 25 Apr 2017, 08:58

neil wrote:Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. After more investigation I believe the problem we are having is being caused when the same fonts are installed twice (once as a Type 1 postscript font and also as a TrueType font).

Previously this hasn't caused any issues and Windows has just grouped them together and applications would use either of them, but since 1703 it seems this causes problem and QXP displays only the Type 1 Postscript version, but doesn't display it as mentioned above.

However, removing the Type 1 duplicates and clearing the font cache seems to solve the problem (they're just using the TTF version instead). I'm currently awaiting confirmation from the user in question as to if they're happy the problem is solved, but if you get anyone else say about invisible fonts it might be because they have both types installed for the same font and the workaround is just to remove one of them.

Thanks!

Hi Neil,

Could you kindly share the fonts which are not working on your system? Kindy share both the Type 1 Postscript version and TTF version of the fonts. You can share it with me. My email id is sinair@quark.com

It will help us to analyze the issue.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 25 Apr 2017, 08:59

Denis L. wrote:Hi,

Any news on an official fix for this Font problem? I too have Fonts like Futura disappearing from my Quark projects since 1703 Windows update. The weird thing is if I work in Photoshop, all my Fonts work great... but in Quark 2016, some don't work.

What I did is convert all my Futura otf Fonts to ttf and it works but I'm looking for an official fix/patch because I have a great amount of Fonts and I don't want to have to convert all of them. It use to work with all types of fonts before 1703 update.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi Denis,

Could you kindly share the fonts which are not working on your system? Kindy share both the Type 1 Postscript version and TTF version of the fonts. You can share it with me. My email id is sinair@quark.com

Sirish Nair

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby neil » 25 Apr 2017, 09:35

Hi Sirish,

I've just emailed as per your request. Thank you!
neil

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 26 Apr 2017, 22:44

Hi Neil,

I have analyzed the issue with the Futura fonts which you had shared. I have tested the issue on both Windows 10 (Version 1607) and (Version 1703). Please find my observations below:

Windows 10 machine (version 1607)
1. On installing the Futura TTF version, fonts loaded properly in QuarkXPress. Text rendered properly on typing in Futura font.
2. Thereafter, on installing the Futura Type 1 version on same machine Windows 10 machine (version 1607) the text in Futura font becomes blank on typing/ already typed text
3. On deleting the font cache (C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT), deleting the Temporary files (%temp%) and restarting the Windows system, the text in Futura font starts rendering properly in QuarkXPress.

Windows 10 machine (version 1703)
1. On installing Futura TTF version, fonts loaded properly in QuarkXPress. Text rendered properly on typing in Futura font.
2. Thereafter, on installing the Futura Type 1 version on same machine Windows 10 machine (version 1607) the text in Futura font becomes blank on typing/ already typed text
3. On deleting the font cache, deleting the Temporary files and restarting the Windows system, the text in Futura font starts rendering properly in QuarkXPress.

The issue of text in Type 1 font turning blank if both True Type and Type 1 variant of same font is installed is reproducible even without the new Windows update 1703.

Also note, Windows has been updating the system fonts while performing the system updates. Many fonts that were shipped in prior versions of Windows have been moved into optional features in Windows 10. After upgrading to Windows 10, these optional features may not be installed on your system. Some users have found that certain fonts they use are missing after upgrading to Windows 10. (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 6b57e61fe4)

Even Corel Draw customers have complained about fonts disappearing after installing the 1703 update (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... progeneral)

Windows 10 updates seem to be affecting the font caches. In case you are facing any font issues after Windows update, it is advisable to delete the font cache and restart the Windows system.
Sirish Nair

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Denis L. » 09 May 2017, 09:18

Sirish Nair (Quark) wrote:Hi Denis,

Hi Sirish,

The thing is I work for a newspaper and I have over 3000 fonts on my computer, of which a couple of hundreds don't work in Quark. So I don't really have the time to list everything... I hope you'll understand.

The weird thing though that makes me think that it's more of a Quark problem then a Windows problem is that on the same computer, all the fonts that won't display in Quark will work perfectly in Photoshop and Illustrator.
Denis L.

Return to QuarkXPress 2016: General