Quark 7 to 16

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Re: Quark 7 to 16

Postby champers9999 » 20 Jun 2017, 09:13

Hi Mike, our current server is a mac pro but we do not intend to update that, just the iMacs, can you forsee any issues?
champers9999

Postby MikeWenzloff » 20 Jun 2017, 10:18

Nope, there really shouldn't be an issue with image paths at least. If there are local paths involved and machine names, volume names are changed, then the same caveats apply.

If linked images are affected for some reason, in general linking one of the affected images via the usage panel should rectify the paths for all images in a publication that uses the same path. So relinking, if images are stored in different folders in any given publication may take more than one relink.

QXP 2017 is a massive step up in quality and functionality from version 7. But so is the OS change. I have never migrated such disparate versions myself at one go, so what I am writing is only based on my own experiences of near constant upgrades in both applications and OS revisions.

What I do know is that Quark will aid in what issues you end up facing. I would also recommend joining the Quark closed Facebook group if you haven't already. Matthias can set that up. I was very hesitant to the use of FB and it took a whole for me to join the group but am glad I did. Several of the Quark engineers are very active in the group and the users are also proactive in seeing issues you may face resolved quickly. It's a good group of people all round.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 20 Jun 2017, 14:08

Hi Champers,

again, in theory it should work, QuarkXPress 2016/2017 have the text engines of QuarkXPress 7 and above built-in to handle such migration paths. However as the jump is quite large, there is a slight possibility that there are unforeseen issues, so I cannot guarantee it working 100%. Still, probability is high that it will work (as that's how we designed it).

Can you not clone your harddrive, upgrade the clone to 10.12 or whatever you plan to use and then run a test with QX2016/2017?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby champers9999 » 21 Jun 2017, 02:38

Again this boils down to the fact that we have to upgrade our iMacs to run the Quark 16 so I cant really do any testing until we get the new iMacs and then once we test and see how well it opens and our old Quark 7 files in Quark 16.

Am I correct in saying that Quark 7 is the last version that will be able to open directly in Quark 16 without the need for a stand alone converter, ie Quark 16 will open them directly from Quark 7, edit in Quark 16 and then resave over the old templates as Quark 16?
champers9999

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 21 Jun 2017, 02:57

Hi Champers,

yes, QuarkXPress 7 is the oldest version that QuarkXPress 20xx can open. v7 was the first version where we modernized the type engine (Unicode/Opentype), so it is going to stay that way, no plans to remove the ability to open v7 (and higher).

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby eyoungren » 23 Jun 2017, 11:52

Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:Hi Champers,

yes, QuarkXPress 7 is the oldest version that QuarkXPress 20xx can open. v7 was the first version where we modernized the type engine (Unicode/Opentype), so it is going to stay that way, no plans to remove the ability to open v7 (and higher).

Thanks
Matthias

Matthias, perhaps you meant to say " v7 was the first version where we modernized the type engine (Unicode/Opentype) for Intel Macs"?

I bring that up because this was one of the biggest issues I had with QXP 8.5 on a PowerMac G5. Because it was PowerPC it was still utilizing the older OS9 type engine and rendering text that was off screen or in text boxes that overran. I was forced to set large amounts of type in QXP 6.5 and then bring those documents forward into XPress 8.

Not that it matters in OP's case, but just to clarify.
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001
eyoungren

Postby UtahLlama » 24 Jun 2017, 05:27

Hi Erik
are you saying that type could reflow depending on whether you opened the documents on intel or PPC (G5)?

I remember Quark v7 dot releases could reflow type differently and possible OSX10.4 vs OS X 10.5 issues, but didn't consider the chip could be a factor too. Looking back It would make sense.

I also remember taking the decision to update all reprinted quark documents from v3 , v4, v5, v6 v7 to v8 and warn our customers to check the pdf proofs extra carefully, there were horrible issues with early type 1 fonts, particularly for me with System Times.

I am really surprised the original poster settled at Quark 7 for so long, its definitely my least favourite version, Quark 8.1 /8.5 were massively more capable with Native Transparency output.
UtahLlama

Postby eyoungren » 24 Jun 2017, 10:45

UtahLlama wrote:Hi Erik
are you saying that type could reflow depending on whether you opened the documents on intel or PPC (G5)?

I remember Quark v7 dot releases could reflow type differently and possible OSX10.4 vs OS X 10.5 issues, but didn't consider the chip could be a factor too. Looking back It would make sense.

I also remember taking the decision to update all reprinted quark documents from v3 , v4, v5, v6 v7 to v8 and warn our customers to check the pdf proofs extra carefully, there were horrible issues with early type 1 fonts, particularly for me with System Times.

I am really surprised the original poster settled at Quark 7 for so long, its definitely my least favourite version, Quark 8.1 /8.5 were massively more capable with Native Transparency output.

No, not reflow. Render.

If you opened an XPress 8.x document in XPress 8.x on an Intel Mac the type engine rendered only the type you saw on the page.

If you did the same on a PowerPC Mac the type engine was different. All text that was present in a document, whether it was visible or not, was rendered.

So, say if you had a text box with overset text and were adjusting leading the type engine rendered not only the type you saw on the page but the overset type as well!

At the time XPress 7/8 was current this was one of my larger more vocal complaints and the engineers told me this was why. When the type engine is rendering many pages of type when all you have in front of you is say a spread (the other pages being off screen) things slow down fast.

Quark's optimizing of XPress for Intel Mac at the time had the inverse affect for PowerPC Mac users.

I'll see if I can dig up my old thread(s).
eyoungren

Postby eyoungren » 24 Jun 2017, 10:54

Ahh, here we go.

Apparently it started with XPress 7 for me. I just remember it being prevalent in 8. I guess because I didn't use 7 for very long.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3498&p=20639&hilit=type+legals#p20639

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21289&p=98617&hilit=type+legals#p98617
eyoungren

Postby UtahLlama » 29 Jun 2017, 04:04

Thanks Erik
so just a speed thing if you had to change the content. I think I was lucky that I had an intel and a G5 at that time.
UtahLlama

Previous

Return to QuarkXPress 2016: General