How to Fix Overset or Overflow Text

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

How to Fix Overset or Overflow Text

Postby user26732 » 25 Jun 2017, 12:29

Newbie here.
I created a project.
Ten pages long.
Added paragraphs, changed spacing, etc.
Now I get to page 8 and find the red box with an 'x' instead of my text.
Tried "Add Pages to Reflow". Nothing happened.
Tried to add a page, then using the link tool, click on page 8, then the new page. Nothing happened.
Tried "Insert Pages." The "Link to Current Text Chain" is greyed out.
Turned to Google. There are lots of solutions for InDesign (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmBYI1559Yw); none for Quark.
Is there a simple solution?
user26732

Re: How to Fix Overset or Overflow Text

Postby MikeWenzloff » 25 Jun 2017, 12:55

After adding a page to the end of the document, you need to create a text frame unless you have a primary text frame on the master page being used. Then select the link tool, click on the last filled text box, then click on the new page's text box.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby user26732 » 25 Jun 2017, 14:56

Is there a way to create a new, full page text frame without using the cursor to manually draw one?
Adding a page does not have a "text box" option.
Also, I may be adding a dozen pages. Does this mean manually drawing a text box for each new page? Isn't there a way to do this automatically?
It is extremely difficult to guess how many extra pages will be needed when editing text.
user26732

Postby max.peter » 26 Jun 2017, 03:45

This option is available during creating a new project, by checking the appropiated checkbox, see the attached image. Once checked this checkbox, every new page have a textbox as is designed in its master page.
Attachments
01.jpg
01.jpg (108.55 KiB) Viewed 987 times
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby user26732 » 26 Jun 2017, 16:59

The problem isn't with a new project, the issue is with an existing project that did not have the "automatic text" box selected.

Let's say you're typesetting a book. Four hundred pages long. The author comes in with a new chapter he wants inserted in the middle of the text. Let's say it's roughly fifty pages long. Does that mean you have to manually draw fifty text boxes on new pages at the end of the book? There really is no automatic way of doing this?
user26732

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 26 Jun 2017, 21:15

Hi user,

not sure about your use case, can ou describe it in detail please?

For Print:
if you do not have an automatic text chain and you have already created 50 manual pages, then it is not possible to make the existing 50 pages automatic. It was your choice to make them manual.

Of course you can add 50 new pages and make them automatic, just add a textbox on any master page (new or existing) and chain the box to the page. Then add text. The new pages will be added automatically to the existing document.

To make manual pages automatic, you could chain all of them together, however you need to decide how (eg. using chain tool).

For eBook (reflow):
If you want to create an eBook out of an existing book, then you can simply add all pages to reflow, independent whether they are automatic or manual.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby MikeWenzloff » 26 Jun 2017, 21:26

There are a couple methods for dealing with your scenario.

One is just to make a new publication that uses an Automatic text box and copy/paste the contents from the former project. Done it a couple times and generally works fine on books without too many images. You can create a new layout with the Automatic Text box when you do this. The main reason I do this method is because it is a PITA to do the below on a regular basis. But I have done it before.

So, to add pages to a current publication without an Automatic text box, I will add an Automatic text box on the Master page and make sure to use the link tool from the Link icon in the upper left to the newly create text box. If using facing pages, make sure to do both text boxes and link them from the right-hand page to the left hand page unless you are beginning on a left facing page.

First, here's what the publication looks like with the text threaded from one box to the next.

capture-001225.png
capture-001225.png (44.16 KiB) Viewed 949 times

Then go to where I want to insert the pages, be it between two existing pages or at the end. I will go to the last page of text before the inserted pages. I will use the Unlink tool to break the text flow. Leave the text box selected as per this screen shot:

capture-001226.png
capture-001226.png (33.09 KiB) Viewed 949 times

I'll insert the pages. Then add the pages making sure to (1) the last filled frame is still selected and (2) remember to check the box indicated

capture-001227.png
capture-001227.png (38.62 KiB) Viewed 949 times

The text will flow to the end of the added pages.

Now go to the last added page. Select the last filled text frame. Use the link tool and click on that last filled text box, then click on the next page's text box.

Do practice on a copy of your publication!
MikeWenzloff

Postby MikeWenzloff » 26 Jun 2017, 21:46

Oops. I walked away and realized I had forgotten your particular use case--and mine!

You'll need to add more pages than you anticipate needing. Then remove all but one of those pages after your text import or copy/paste of the new material. Then pretty much do as above. Then style the newly inserted material. You may also need to change the preference for how Q handles text flow with added pages. I cannot remember now whether I needed to.
MikeWenzloff

Postby max.peter » 27 Jun 2017, 03:52

IMHO this problem is generated by misundersatnding how QuarkXPress is actually working and because of a lack of basic knowledge. First you have to think how you are going to work for any long document. Looking for answers after a wrong start is not productive at all.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby user26732 » 27 Jun 2017, 09:10

@max.peter: No doubt. But nevertheless the problem exists; with InDesign there's a relatively simple solution, not so with Quark (it seems).

@mike.wenzloff: Adding more pages than anticipate needing: In other words, the program won't do this automatically. So each time, to be safe, one should add +100 extra pages "just to be sure."

@[name not shown] Once the text is overset, it's impossible to do a global copy and paste. {Only the text that is showing can be copied and pasted.} {I couldn't get this feature to work, but eventually it did. Strike-though not an option for html editing on the forum}

The use case is: whenever substantial edits cause the number of overset pages to be increased by a number greater than one or two. A new chapter added to a book could mean fifty additional pages.

The add text boxes was checked when the project was created, but the problems I described presented themselves nevertheless.
user26732

Next

Return to QuarkXPress 2016: General