QXP 2016 / QXP 8

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Re: QXP 2016 / QXP 8

Postby Quarkhorse » 10 Jul 2017, 11:55

Glad to know this, Erik. Thanks! I will use .qxp next time around.

And, I'm amazed you're still helping folks out around here—a true comrade. You helped me rescue myself/my workworld a couple times, a few years ago . . .
Quarkhorse

Postby eyoungren » 10 Jul 2017, 14:09

Quarkhorse wrote:Glad to know this, Erik. Thanks! I will use .qxp next time around.

And, I'm amazed you're still helping folks out around here—a true comrade. You helped me rescue myself/my workworld a couple times, a few years ago . . .

I try to help as I can. Pretty much just the basics now as, like I said, XPress 8.5.1 is the last version of XPress I used. We moved over to the evil 'other' program in 2011.

But thank you!

Always available to help fellow designers if I can. If you still have my email address and any issues, feel free to contact me.

That said, I must say that Mike Wenzloff does an outstanding job here. Always helpful and pretty much always knows a fix.
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001
eyoungren

Postby Quarkhorse » 10 Jul 2017, 14:44

It does take a village!

And speaking of the "evil" other software, would you believe that in my industry (literary publishing), I'm the only freelancer/self-employed designer/compositor who not only still uses QXP, but also, has had to be let go by some NY publishers because I've refused to switch to InD?

It still feels like the right attitude, rather than a foolhardy one. I'd love for Peach Pit or someone like that, though, to release one of those huge books on the latest QuarkXPress.

All the best,
Jeff
Quarkhorse

Postby MikeWenzloff » 10 Jul 2017, 15:00

There are two books out on QXP. One by Jay Nelson and one by Martin Turner. Turner's book was just updated for 2017.

I do books as well. But do other publishing too. My ID to Q ratio has flip-flopped. It use to be about a 60-40 ID split. It's substantially the other way round now. I'll use whatever the client wants me to use, but my preference is Q. Most of my books these days are pick-up work from other people when they get swamped or behind schedule.

Pretty much the way it's been since 2012. I had health issues that culminated in a couple open heart surgeries and had to find others to push my steady clients to. So these days are filled with crisis pick-up work or playing with the grandkids.
MikeWenzloff

Postby Quarkhorse » 10 Jul 2017, 15:16

Thanks for the book tips—and, more importantly, I'm glad you're on the other side of those surgeries. Hope you're well now!

I'm a bull about QXP because over the years I've steadily and gradually improved the kerning tables of the 20–30 serif faces I use for book interiors, and feel that's the heart and soul of my typography—to my knowledge, only Quark allows that level of kerning.

Here's to another decade or two of Quark as our co-pilot.

Take care,
Jeff
Quarkhorse

Postby eyoungren » 10 Jul 2017, 16:12

Quarkhorse wrote:It does take a village!

And speaking of the "evil" other software, would you believe that in my industry (literary publishing), I'm the only freelancer/self-employed designer/compositor who not only still uses QXP, but also, has had to be let go by some NY publishers because I've refused to switch to InD?

It still feels like the right attitude, rather than a foolhardy one. I'd love for Peach Pit or someone like that, though, to release one of those huge books on the latest QuarkXPress.

All the best,
Jeff

Quarkhorse wrote:Thanks for the book tips—and, more importantly, I'm glad you're on the other side of those surgeries. Hope you're well now!

I'm a bull about QXP because over the years I've steadily and gradually improved the kerning tables of the 20–30 serif faces I use for book interiors, and feel that's the heart and soul of my typography—to my knowledge, only Quark allows that level of kerning.

Here's to another decade or two of Quark as our co-pilot.

Take care,
Jeff

No one's going to argue for one over the other here. My ONLY reason for switching to InDesign was monetary. I realized at some point that they only way I would learn the program was to be paid to use it. So, I switched the department (me plus one other person :D) to it which meant I had to learn it.

My preference will always be XPress though, despite still wishing that a few things would cross over such as stroked typed (without being converted to a box).

But always use the tool that is best for you or that is appropriate to the job or situation. Both apps have pluses and minuses. Our job is to know how to leverage all that to make our work effective.

I applaud your loyalty.

PS. Part of the reason I'm still here is because the Adobe forums were always and still are a cesspool of negativity. I may use InDesign, but I don't use Adobe's forums.
eyoungren

Postby MikeWenzloff » 10 Jul 2017, 16:42

eyoungren wrote:...that a few things would cross over such as stroked typed (without being converted to a box)...

Which finally arrived with version 2017. Cannot yet align the stroke to inside/outside, but I suspect that will be an enhancement sooner than later.

Split columns arrived as well and without ID's inherent slow performance with using them. Text and paragraph shading, and paragraph borders too. And fairly intelligently done, can do side borders, etc. Footnotes cannot yet span multi-column frames, though.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby Quarkhorse » 10 Jul 2017, 16:47

Agree with all you've written there, Erik.

Forgot to make one thing clear: PDFs have made QXP vs InD moot, in my niche anyway, since if what I'm to deliver printers is output-ready PDF, no one really cares what I've used to generate the layouts.

The snag I ran into involved two well-known NY publishing houses, who'd ask me, after a book had gone to press, for my app files and fonts and art for book covers/jackets, in case books needed to be reprinted, or changes made on press, etc.

Within the same year or two period, the conglomerates who owned the houses not only made their tech folks forswear QXP, they also wiped QXP off the designer/production folks' computers. So I was told to either learn InD, or, instead of putting together complete jackets/covers, to hand over front-cover artwork as an EPS, for them to place in InD documents, in order to complete the work. I chose the latter.

(To be honest, I also continue to drive a really old Subaru . . .)
Quarkhorse

Postby eyoungren » 10 Jul 2017, 16:51

MikeWenzloff wrote:
eyoungren wrote:...that a few things would cross over such as stroked typed (without being converted to a box)...

Which finally arrived with version 2017. Cannot yet align the stroke to inside/outside, but I suspect that will be an enhancement sooner than later.

Split columns arrived as well and without ID's inherent slow performance with using them. Text and paragraph shading, and paragraph borders too. And fairly intelligently done, can do side borders, etc. Footnotes cannot yet span multi-column frames, though.

Mike

Ah, thanks for that Mike! Didn't realize. That now presents some ideas for me. Have to see where it leads me.
eyoungren

Postby eyoungren » 10 Jul 2017, 16:59

Quarkhorse wrote:Agree with all you've written there, Erik.

Forgot to make one thing clear: PDFs have made QXP vs InD moot, in my niche anyway, since if what I'm to deliver printers is output-ready PDF, no one really cares what I've used to generate the layouts.

The snag I ran into involved two well-known NY publishing houses, who'd ask me, after a book had gone to press, for my app files and fonts and art for book covers/jackets, in case books needed to be reprinted, or changes made on press, etc.

Within the same year or two period, the conglomerates who owned the houses not only made their tech folks forswear QXP, they also wiped QXP off the designer/production folks' computers. So I was told to either learn InD, or, instead of putting together complete jackets/covers, to hand over front-cover artwork as an EPS, for them to place in InD documents, in order to complete the work. I chose the latter.

(To be honest, I also continue to drive a really old Subaru . . .)

I had a designer once tell me that she would NEVER abandon QuarkXPress 4.11.

Designers decide what they like and tend to stick with that, sometimes to their own detriment.

Not saying that is the case here with you, not at all. In your defense as you explained, no one really cares (or should care) where the PDF came from as long as it's done properly.

I find it interesting that they took an EPS file though. Adobe users seem to have a general hatred for that format and have long declared it to be dead. Yet, it continues to still be useful to me in a lot of situations.

My main issues have been and still continue to be working with improper PDFs. This is where the shoe is on the other foot and I DO care. Plenty of InDesign made PDFs have a bad habit of cutting up an image in order to adhere to the desired PDF job option. Invariably this means working with several pieces of one image for me when the PDF the customer sends to our paper is not right. It can be time-consuming and tedious.

I'm always happy when I get a PDF from XPress users though. It's usually done right and the images are usually in one piece.

Now, if I had my choice there's be certain tools I'd use and certain things I'd only accept. Unfortunately, for me it cannot be that way as the one constant about our industry is change.
eyoungren

PreviousNext

Return to QuarkXPress 2016: General