How to disable EPS preview generation

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

How to disable EPS preview generation

Postby Xandrwa » 19 Dec 2017, 12:50

we are using QXP to impose special security particles, which are is EPS file.
We need to check that each file was imposed well, which was checked in previous versions visually by names
as EPS with no TIFF/Pict preview, QXP shows only GREY rectangle with NAME of file it represents.
Earlier this week we bought QXP2016 and seems that it generates/not generates previews - output is WHITE rectangle with no further details, if it would have NAME and rest is white, than no problem. But like this, big no no.

So the question is, is there possibility to force/switch QXP to act desired way?
Xandrwa

Re: How to disable EPS preview generation

Postby Xandrwa » 19 Dec 2017, 12:53

files are Illustrator files with outlined letters, weight of letters is really bellow visual recognition
Xandrwa

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 20 Dec 2017, 02:06

Hi Xandra,

Xandrwa wrote:files are Illustrator files with outlined letters, weight of letters is really bellow visual recognition

So then QuarkXPress 2016 behaves correctly by only showing a white square? Have you tried zooming in (to 8000%) to see whether it shows then?

If you do not want to see images, you can set a preferences to "greek pictures", however that affects all then (except the selected one).

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Xandrwa » 03 Jan 2018, 11:52

this is what is expected, as in QXP 7

this is what we are getting in QXP 2016

those are same EPS files, same template
Xandrwa

Postby Jiri Melnicky » 03 Jan 2018, 18:02

Since version 10, the ability to influence preview quality has been canceled. Everything is all about the Xenon Engine, which always tries to make a preview. How great would it be if the user could determine what view he wanted. In Quark, they said the user did not need it. Where is the "greek pictures" option in your preferences?

Pro Xandrwa česky: Od verze 10 byla zrušena možnost ovlivňovat kvalitu náhledů. O vše se teď stará Xenon Engine, který se snaží vždy vytvořit náhled. Jak by bylo skvělé, kdyby si mohl uživatel sám určit, jaký náhled chce. V Quarku si řekli, že to uživatel nepotřebuje. Kde se v předvolbách nachází volba "greek pictures"?
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win 8.1, QXP3.1–QXP2018 (Czech version)
Jiri Melnicky

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 04 Jan 2018, 04:58

Hi Jiri,

this is independent of the preview quality.

The screenshot of v7 shows that QuarkXPress 7 does not understand EPS natively. As there was no preview embedded in the EPS, it shows a generic preview.

QuarkXPress 2016 understands EPS (and PDF) natively, so it interprets EPS and shows a preview. It seems that something is different with this specific EPS, as QuarkXPress renders it incorrectly.

Your tip to greek pictures is good if you want to see gray previews.

Xandra,
please send the EPS to us (support@quark.com) and we can analyze it.

Thanks
Matthias

P.S.: EPS is an outdated file format, please consider using PDF instead.
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Jiri Melnicky » 04 Jan 2018, 07:53

I understand this so that the user does not have the option of transferring images in EPS to another format, so he has a problem. But I agree with you: Let's get rid of the EPS format!
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win 8.1, QXP3.1–QXP2018 (Czech version)
Jiri Melnicky

Postby UtahLlama » 04 Jan 2018, 12:22

Let's get rid of the EPS format!

&
QuarkXPress 2016 understands EPS (and PDF) natively, so it interprets EPS and shows a preview. It seems that something is different with this specific EPS, as QuarkXPress renders it incorrectly. ...

never thought I'd see this on a Quark Forum :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is Quark now incapable of adding an untouched eps straight into the postscript (either Print, or Export to PDF) ?
If so, which version did this happen?
UtahLlama

Postby Jiri Melnicky » 04 Jan 2018, 14:19

I have stopped using bitmap EPS in Photoshop - it's too big and in the case of compression it offers only lossy compression that destroys the image. For my customers who require the used images, I have to transfer all EPS images to another format. The TIFF LZW file is much smaller and suits 100% of my customers. Both Quark and InDesign load TIFF images faster (at least on my computer). I stopped using EPS vector because my customers can not open this format. Vector PDF will completely replace EPS. PDF file opens 100% of my customers. I do not know if EPS is outdated, but I know this format is past to me.
Jiri Melnicky

Postby MikeWenzloff » 04 Jan 2018, 15:04

UtahLlama wrote:
Let's get rid of the EPS format!

&
QuarkXPress 2016 understands EPS (and PDF) natively, so it interprets EPS and shows a preview. It seems that something is different with this specific EPS, as QuarkXPress renders it incorrectly. ...

never thought I'd see this on a Quark Forum :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is Quark now incapable of adding an untouched eps straight into the postscript (either Print, or Export to PDF) ?
If so, which version did this happen?

No, PostScript is still passed through to a PostScript device to interpret. That includes Acrobat's print driver. Like always, to a non-PS device, gibberish is produced or nothing is depending upon the non-PS print driver. At least the last time I tried it. I think the change was made in 10, but I cannot test right now.

EPS renders fine here and outputs great. And I do prefer it to a PDF as long as the contents do not need color-managed--EPS is not a color-managed format. One reason I prefer EPS to PDF when I desire to use the format is the files are far smaller depending on the contents.

If the contents of individual graphic frames could be hidden, I would like that. Most of my graphics, once placed, don't need to ever be seen again. (Well, and if the preview resolution could be as per v.9 and below, that would be icing on the cake...but Quark would see that as a step or two backwards so I doubt it would ever happen. I would go for simply hiding graphic frame contents on a per-frame basis.)
MikeWenzloff

Next

Return to QuarkXPress 2016: General