Ignorant book designer must delete gutter for new publisher

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Ignorant book designer must delete gutter for new publisher

Postby syj » 28 Mar 2018, 10:32

I designed a book with 20 different layout pages for one publisher who uses a .167 gutter in 6×9 trim size. Then the author had to switch to another publisher, whose printer wants "perfectly centered pages"—no gutter. I’m using Quark 2016 and I don’t have a lot of experience with design. Does this mean I have to go into every master page and set all text boxes at the minimum gutter—.002?

Thank you,
syj
syj

Re: Ignorant book designer must delete gutter for new publis

Postby UtahLlama » 28 Mar 2018, 10:57

hmmm, the only reason for you to add the gutter to your design would be different size spreads or throw-outs? If this is actually the case then probably whats been asked for is your only choice...
However if all the pages are the same size:
Normally the gutter is added by the imposition process at the Printer and you'd send single pages in your pdfs.
Most Imposition programs could cope with either centred pages OR use the PDF Trim Box ask the new printer if its possible to use the PDF Trim Box and adjust your single page pdfs' Trimbox manually; using Pitstop its reasonably straightforward to adjust all Even and Odd pages, so shouldn't cost too much extra, if at all.
UtahLlama

Postby syj » 28 Mar 2018, 14:16

UtahLlama wrote:hmmm, the only reason for you to add the gutter to your design would be different size spreads or throw-outs? If this is actually the case then probably whats been asked for is your only choice...
However if all the pages are the same size:
Normally the gutter is added by the imposition process at the Printer and you'd send single pages in your pdfs.
Most Imposition programs could cope with either centred pages OR use the PDF Trim Box ask the new printer if its possible to use the PDF Trim Box and adjust your single page pdfs' Trimbox manually; using Pitstop its reasonably straightforward to adjust all Even and Odd pages, so shouldn't cost too much extra, if at all.

How do you do it in Pitstop? Thank you. -syj
syj

Postby syj » 29 Mar 2018, 09:15

Problem solved. Thanks for your time.
syj

Return to QuarkXPress 2016: General