Font Question for You Experts (old mac to new pc)

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017.

Font Question for You Experts (old mac to new pc)

Postby A.DanielGallagher » 22 May 2015, 15:14

Fun time oh joy. Been using Qxp on a Mac since 2002.

Going from Mac OS9 Qxp5 to Win7 Qxp10. I wanted to go to Qxp9 but the boss wanted latest and greatest Qxp.

Bottom line, have a huge 350 page manual with 8 fonts I'm not sure how to replace. Helvetica to Arial and Times to TNR etc is a no brainer.

Not enough flavors of Arial (like 3 that come with win7). And this is a lot of work. So I want to go about it smartly. Any suggestions are appreciated.

The problem is Swis721 flavors the guy before me used.
LtBt
HvBT
BlkBT
MdBT
BdRndBT

Thanks.
BlkRndBT
A.DanielGallagher

Re: Font Question for You Experts (old mac to new pc)

Postby MikeWenzloff » 22 May 2015, 16:09

I think the HvBT is simply the Bitstream version of Helvetica. In any case, I think I would go this way:

LtBt --> Arial Narrow
HvBT --> Arial
BlkBT -- Arial Black
MdBT --> Arial
BdRndBT --> Arial Round

Of the above, the Arial Narrow probably isn't a great fit per se with the exception of the stroke thickness. But is is obviously compressed whereas LtBT is not.

I have the Swis721 family. Came with CorelDraw since the early 1990s (maybe since its first version). All Bitstram's Swiss family is, is a knock-off of Helvetica. For which Arial is "close enough" if you do not have a Helvetica OpenType version for the PC.

If you don't have OpenType versions of the fonts in use, the best would be purchasing the requisite weights of Helvetica or Helvetica Neue OpenType versions to truly match the weights in use. OpenType would be swapable between OSs should the need arise.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby A.DanielGallagher » 22 May 2015, 17:26

Thank you Mike.
After posting I tried to match the fonts looking at them on fonts.com

The only one on which we differ is HvBT, I thought Arial Black was closer.
But I can always choose std. Arial and make it bold if needed.

Didn't want to jump in without a little bit of knowledge first.

Thank you again.
A.DanielGallagher

Postby MikeWenzloff » 22 May 2015, 17:53

You're welcome.

Looking at both Arial Bold and Swis721 HV BT on-screen, while not a perfect match. But Swis721 HV BT is definitely not as heavy as Swiss721BT-Black, which is pretty comparable to Arial Black in weight. So I think it falls into the "close enough" category.

I sometimes dread redoing some of the manuals I or others did back in the early to mid-1990s, simply due to font issues. But I guess that's why we make the big bucks...and at least for myself, the reason I have less hair these days ;)

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Return to QuarkXPress 20xx: Fonts and fonts usage