Fonts in imported eps not displaying correctly

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017.

Fonts in imported eps not displaying correctly

Postby debrabb » 24 Jun 2015, 11:54

I'm working in Quark 10 and this just started happening. I have an eps diagram containing type created in Illustrator. It is not an exotic font..It's plain old Helvetica Condensed. When I place the diagram in my Quark document, the type appears "garbled"--it looks like an italic typewriter font with weird spacing and symbols. When I export the layout as a pdf, the font appears accurately. When I checked the fonts in the layout's usage window, they are all there. I don't want to convert the type to outlines in the Illustrator diagram because I constantly need to change it for multiple ongoing versions. Any ideas for solutions to this issue?
debrabb

Re: Fonts in imported eps not displaying correctly

Postby UtahLlama » 24 Jun 2015, 15:19

would guess that the problem is plain old Helvetica condensed that probably has been through 10 or 11 System upgrades is finally causing the problem, I'd try and change the font to a less plain variant, would suggest one of the numbered Helvetica's from Linotype or Adobe.
UtahLlama

Postby debrabb » 24 Jun 2015, 15:37

I've tried changing the font in the diagram to several other type faces and the same issue occurs when I bring it in to Quark. None of them display properly. They all look like garbled italic typewriter type.
debrabb

Postby UtahLlama » 25 Jun 2015, 15:23

try clearing the macs font caches
possibly try to force refresh the quark's image previews, hold down some key combo when opening the doc
also not sure if still around but empty out the JAWS font stubbs, somewhere in the Quark Prefs if I remember,
sorry for being vague, I don't use quark as much as i used to.
UtahLlama

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 26 Jun 2015, 05:07

Hi,

It seems the fonts in the EPS is not embedded which is leads to this issue.

Kindly open the EPS in Illustrator and save it as again as EPS with the ‘Embed Fonts (for other applications)’ option checked and save.

Reimport the newly resaved EPS in QuarkXPress and let us know if you facing any issues.

If you are facing any issues, kindly provide the CFO with the details.

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby debrabb » 26 Jun 2015, 06:53

Thank you. That was the problem. The fonts were not embedded. My default is set to always embed them, but for some reason in this eps, that was not checked. Problem solved. Thank you again.
debrabb

Return to QuarkXPress 20xx: Fonts and fonts usage