Quark X Press does not display Armenian characters

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017.

Quark X Press does not display Armenian characters

Postby richi.v » 22 Jul 2016, 22:41

Hi all I have the following problem:

QuarkXpress Working with Armenian language.

The document contains three fonts (Sylfaen, Arial Unicode and Tahoma), the same file with the same sources in the environment mac (mac mini 2012) with QXP 2015 can not display the Tahoma font with Armenian characters, (yes, in language Cyrillic and Arabic).

In the Windows environment I do not have that problem.

Images to illustrate the problem.

Can someone help me with this problem.

Thank you very much

Ricardo
Attachments
QXP2015 - PC.jpg
QXP2015 - PC.jpg (220.18 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
QXP2015 - MAC.jpg
QXP2015 - MAC.jpg (194.57 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
richi.v

Re: Quark X Press does not display Armenian characters

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 23 Jul 2016, 05:12

Hi Ricardo,

The Tahoma font issue is not related to QuarkXPress. It is font a version issue.

The version of Tahoma font which comes preinstalled with Mac is 5.012x. It doesn’t support Armenian code page and hence it doesn’t contain Armenian characters. It’s font location is /Library/Fonts/Tahoma.ttf

The version of Tahoma font which comes preinstalled with Windows 10 is 6.91. It supports Armenian code page and it contains Armenian characters.

If you install Microsoft Office 2016 on your system, then it will install Microsoft font on your system (location: /Library/Fonts/Microsoft/Tahoma.ttf). The version of the Tahoma font which installed with Microsoft Office is 5.25i and it supports Armenian code page and it contains Armenian characters.

Option 1: You can remove the default Tahoma (which was preinstalled by mac) and replace it with Microsoft Office Tahoma font. You can do to manually, or use Font Book or any font management utility.

Option 2: Copy the Tahoma font from Windows to Mac. Remove the default Tahoma (which was preinstalled by Mac) and replace it with Windows Tahoma font.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Return to QuarkXPress 20xx: Fonts and fonts usage