Newbie font identification problem

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017.

Newbie font identification problem

Postby andthepharaohs » 28 Jan 2017, 16:42

Hi,

I'm just migrating from MS Publisher :-) to QX and am climbing the learning curve slowly but surely. However, there's one thing in particular that I can't find out - how to tell what font a particular piece of text is. I have the style sheets showing and the appropriate styles are shown there, but sometimes those indications are patently alternative facts. I've Googled until I'm blue in the face and still can't find how to do this.

Also, do I have to use style sheets for centring and applying bold/italic/whatever to a section of text or is there an easier way?

Thanks for any assistance.
andthepharaohs

Re: Newbie font identification problem

Postby MikeWenzloff » 28 Jan 2017, 19:42

Welcome to QXP...

I have the Tab Bar located at the top:

capture-000756.png
capture-000756.png (8.48 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

Next to the font drop down you can also see the alignment options highlighted. control + shift + c also can center the line/paragraph the cursor is in. Ctrl + shift + l = left alignment, ctrl + shift + r = right alignment.

On the main Quark website there is a keyboard shortcut PDF as well.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby max.peter » 29 Jan 2017, 04:44

You can either edit, or create your own style sheet.
Go to Edit > Stylesheet, choose New or Edit, and check the settings you can set.
See the attached pictures.
Attachments
01.jpg
01.jpg (85.76 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (151.69 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby andthepharaohs » 29 Jan 2017, 06:52

Thanks a lot, Max and Mike - I have at last found out how to display the measurements palette - which was not an obvious name for what I was looking for! It wasn't visible from the start, but that may have been due to the project I took over. I can now get on without tearing out what little hair I have!
andthepharaohs

Return to QuarkXPress 20xx: Fonts and fonts usage