Problem when importing text and preserve text styles

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017.

Problem when importing text and preserve text styles

Postby Dave » 09 Feb 2017, 08:04

Hello,
i use Quark in 2016, when importing text will not retain text styles. In Version 9, there XNT Word6-2000 filter, where it was imported text choice whether to be retained styles (bold and italic), quotes, etc. Version 2016, however, this does not add a filter Word has the option to transfer only the quotes and the style. With the use of options "including templates styles" although imported bold and italic, but did not apply the text style. I attach a photo, where the left is already imported text in QX9, which retains boldness, italics, and text style. In the middle is loaded text QX2016 using options, including styles. Text While keeping the boldness and italics, but does not retain text style. Text is suddenly in a different font and size. In addition to the color palette of colors read Word, in addition to RGB, which is unnecessary and must delete it then. On the right is the same thing with just ticked the option "including styles". This option is preferable, since it is not imported RGB color. Additionally Word.xnt filter, which is installed Quark2016, can not import a file format other than .docx. Type formats DOC, ODT completely ignored. Can you advise me how to import text to preserve the text font style?

Thanks
David

.... i do not know how to insert a picture, not loaded
Dave

Re: Problem when importing text and preserve text styles

Postby MikeWenzloff » 09 Feb 2017, 12:06

Hi David,

to insert an image, there is a tab that says Upload attachment below the reply box. When that tab is selected, there is a Choose File button. Once that is clicked, a dialog box will open to choose the image from your system. Once chosen, click on the Add the file button. You can then post your reply or also first choose the Place inline option (doesn't really matter if that is done or not).

OK, I am the last person who would import a Word file and retain styles or attributes. I use tagged text out of Word that both tags paragraph styles used in Word and words with various attributes.

I do think there is an issue with the Word import as a DOCX format, at least in the simple tests I did. Aside from all the colors I don't want, mapping styles doesn't really seem to work as I expect--I expect no Word styles and no overrides when mapped (other than for attributes). But what I get are say paragraph styles that all have an override and must be cleared for it to be a proper representation.

Unlike you, though, I had this issue with version 9, too. I also didn't like how it did the import.

As for the file types, I don't think Quark will add back the DOC type, nor ODT at all for that matter. However, you may have better success saving a copy from Word as an RTF and importing that.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby Dave » 10 Feb 2017, 03:46

Hi Mike,
thank you for answer. Unfortunately, it does not solve my problem with importing and maintaining text style.

Upload file really do not see. Perhaps I'm blind :-) The only buttons I've got: Save Draft, Preview and Submit.

When you load a file in RTF is the same problem as DOCX. Maintaining styles is important for me, because when it is approved layout example of the magazine, so I need to read text retains the attributes of the current text frame. Otherwise, it was then quite staying away from work. It now Quark2016 to me can not, or do not know how to do it.

Thanks
David
Dave

Postby Dave » 10 Feb 2017, 05:06

in the original query, I incorrectly stated the name of the XTensions filter. Rightly called "MS Word 2007-2008 Filter.xnt". This filter could import text in QUARK9, so that was preserved text style is defined in Quark, and kept at the typefaces (bold and italic).

There are more details on the filter "MS Word 2007-2008 Filter.xnt" that all this could gracefully:
http://www.quentin.cz/quark/IMPORTXTENSIONS.php

Something like me in the new version are missing. Possibly seeking a way to solve this easily.

Thanks
David
Dave

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 10 Feb 2017, 06:09

Hi David,

yes, the option is not listed anymore. in QuarkXPress 2016 the DOCX import filter now always retains local formatting when you import a Word document.

Can you share the DOCX where this doesn't happen please?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby MikeWenzloff » 10 Feb 2017, 15:01

Hi David...

capture-000806.png
capture-000806.png (19.49 KiB) Viewed 2137 times

But sounds like Matthias is on the case...
MikeWenzloff

Postby Dave » 13 Feb 2017, 10:42

Hi Matthias and Mike,

do not have Upload attachment tab. I have only Options.

Through the Depository wetransfer.com I save the preview in pdf, docx and QXP file. Left is loaded text QX2016. Import-defined text does not preserve the style applied to the text box. Retains only bold and italic. Right next door is the same import through QX9, which preserves the style of the text - it's right.

https://we.tl/0tmXFFa8iG

Thanks
David
Dave

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 13 Feb 2017, 13:28

Hi David,

I still don't see the issue. I imported the DOCX in both QuarkXPress 9 and in QuarkXPress 2016 and for me they look the same. Are you maybe using an XTension in QuarkXPress 9 that you do not have in QX2016?

If not, can you post a screenshot of what you see please?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Return to QuarkXPress 20xx: Fonts and fonts usage