is JavaScript (JSX) supported?

Discuss AppleScripting for QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017.

is JavaScript (JSX) supported?

Postby kazu » 30 Jun 2017, 08:33

Hi there,

currently I am an ID 6 user, looking for an alternative. Why I post that in Scripting? Because I have in ID many projects, whitch are automated by my own JavaScripts.

I have read that XPress support AppleScript, but does it also work with JavaScript (JSX)? Maybe even with the same scripts, after a little adjustment? That would be an important decision for me to change.
kazu

Re: is JavaScript (JSX) supported?

Postby MikeWenzloff » 30 Jun 2017, 09:28

No Javascript support on either platform at this time.

It is an oft requested item by some (me included) and, for me, the same reason as yourself. I have a several Javascripts I use in ID CS6 that I would like to use in the Windows version of QXP--and we Windows users cannot use AppleScript and so we have zero scripting available.

It's a "thank goodness" that the ID plugins I use are also available for Q. So at least some of what I do is automated.

I wish I had better news. This lack of JS support just means I use Q less than I would otherwise. For much of what I create, JS means little, it's that remainder of what I do that I need ID for. As a Windows user, the OS changes mean less than the changes in the MacOS, but eventually CS6 will not run even on Windows. So I need JS support sooner than later.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Re: is JavaScript (JSX) supported?

Postby kazu » 30 Jun 2017, 11:36

CS6 is currently running on OSX, updates are not mandatory, with OSX the updates are not quite as important as with Windows. No question, updates are always important, but ... work also.

I use mostly own scripts to complete catalogs. I load an Excel table with a klick on an script. The script delivers character and paragraph styles, so I get 150 pages of fully formatted catalogs in a matter of seconds. I would manually work on it more than three days. I do not want to do that without scripts, especially if you have always recurring jobs
AppleScript is okay, but JavaScript is far more extensive, I have more possibilities.

Too bad, It would be fine to find a replacement.
kazu

Return to QuarkXPress 20xx: Scripting