Selecting items stacked on top of each other

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Selecting items stacked on top of each other

Postby chrisnz_nz » 09 Nov 2017, 19:21

Hi all,

I have used ID for so many years and switched this year. I have 2 text boxes positioned on top of each other to get a certain effect. I can't find a way of selecting the item below the topmost item. In ID there is an easy way to do that by command clicking through the various layers of items as they are stacked. How do you do that in Quark?I looked at every single menu option available and the shortcuts, no go?

If that ability is indeed missing, I strongly suggest to you guys at Quark reading this, please add that to your feature list! I used that feature in ID for a few other things in complex layouts too, not just for getting some text effects done easily and quickly. I am alone in needing this...?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Chris
chrisnz_nz

Re: Selecting items stacked on top of each other

Postby chrisnz_nz » 09 Nov 2017, 19:36

OK, I found one of my older posts on this topic, finally...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26898&hilit=selecting

However, that mentioned keyboard shortcut doesn't work out of the box. It gives me the zoom out tool... Now, I may be able to reset this in the shortcuts preferences, but still I think that something so basic as selecting items that are stacked, and likely needed by a few others, this should be in the Item menu by default and have a simpler short to boot :)
chrisnz_nz

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 10 Nov 2017, 03:17

Hi Chris,

the shortcut has been the same since version 3 I believe.
Are you on Mac or on Windows?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby tilmanlo » 14 Nov 2017, 11:10

On a Mac I can select such objects by cmd+alt+shift-clicking.
But: doubleclicking (when I want to edit it) won't work.
Is there a workaroud for this?
tilmanlo

Postby chrisnz_nz » 15 Nov 2017, 03:25

tilmanlo wrote:On a Mac I can select such objects by cmd+alt+shift-clicking.
But: doubleclicking (when I want to edit it) won't work.
Is there a workaroud for this?

Hi,

Yes, that shortcut works for me on the Mac too, but alas, not able to select the item I want to select like I could in ID... what a shame.
chrisnz_nz

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 15 Nov 2017, 03:50

If it works for you, why can't you select it?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby chrisnz_nz » 16 Nov 2017, 02:45

Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:If it works for you, why can't you select it?

Thanks
Matthias

OOPS, my bad terminology, I can select it, but as the above poster already mentioned, it is impossible to do anything with the content, like in ID. To actually edit some text in stacked text boxes, you need to bring the item to the front and then move it back to where it was. In ID you can click through a stack and when you get to the item you want to edit you can do that by selecting it with a double click and this immediately makes content tool active (i.e. places the text cursor in the box ready for editing). Hope I described this ID behaviour correctly.

I found that ability quite useful when creating some effects that were achieved with 2,3 or sometimes even 4 layers of text. I sometimes used this also for some box border effects with image boxes, but in that instance, selecting the content (image scaling/cropping) was not often needed.

Would this feature be a major amount of work to add to the current selection method?

Thanks Matthias for the support in the forums :)

Cheers
Chris
chrisnz_nz

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General