Desperately seeking advice from confused user

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Desperately seeking advice from confused user

Postby apeaquark » 07 Apr 2017, 11:23

I have been using Quark since the 90’s with no problems. I started working for a company as their only employee running the business and typesetting their publications in 2002 and used various versions of Quark up to version 8 and then in 2014 tried to install version 10 with disastrous results. No end of problems and crashing files. I work by myself and with no back up IT support I could not risk getting behind on work so in the end after seemed like weeks of talking to Quark Support online and on the phone I gave up and had to revert back to version 8 to produce the company’s quarterly magazine and diary artwork.

However, I now need to have my computer system rebuilt and the operating system will not support Quark 8. I would be grateful for any advice of where to go from here. I do not particularly want to have to retrain in InDesign and would like to get the latest version of Quark to work, I see version 2017 is out this year. Does anyone know how I can easily get to version 2017 and would I be able to easily transition from version 8. I purchased Quark 10 so presume I there are updates to the newer versions, so I could reinstall it and then go from there rather than having to buy 2017 as a new package?

Anyway as you can see I am bit confused, ideally I would like to find someone that could come to my office to sort this out for me with training! Any ideas gratefully received.
apeaquark

Re: Desperately seeking advice from confused user

Postby MikeWenzloff » 07 Apr 2017, 12:07

I would recommend installing 10 on the new computer and absolutely download and install the updates for it. Those can be downloaded from Quark's main web site.

However, version 10 was a sort to transition version to a new rendering engine (among other things internal and in the UI) and while I worked with it, I was very happy with the stability and performance improvements in version 2015. When version 2016 came out, it was like night and day over 2015 as regards capabilities, stability and performance.

I believe version 2017 continues those feature improvements and performance gains. So once you have the new computer, do try to install and run version 10 with the latest/last update applied and see how well it works for you. Once it works (or doesn't) download the trial for version 2017 when it is available and see for yourself whether it meets stability and performance expectations.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby apeaquark » 09 Apr 2017, 07:38

Thanks Mike for your reply, this is appreciated.

When I have a quite moment whenever that might be I would like to install 10 again on the current computer running windows 8 and then try the upgrades to version 2016 and see if it works.

Regards

Jane
apeaquark

Postby MikeWenzloff » 09 Apr 2017, 08:24

You're most welcome, Jane.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General