Starburst Tool

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Starburst Tool

Postby William Bragg » 24 May 2017, 18:08

I asked this question for QuarkXPress 2016 and I'll ask it again for QuarkXPress 2017. What is the Random Spikes option supposed to do? I believe it's supposed to make random sized spikes? When I type in a number and hit OK, nothing happens.
William Bragg

Re: Starburst Tool

Postby MikeWenzloff » 24 May 2017, 19:22

The ShapeMaker, Randomize Points? Works here. There is also a live preview, at least on Windows, to see the effects of typing in a number or adjusting the slider. Just typing a number and pressing enter one cannot view the preview to see what effect it will have. But tabbing out or choosing another control will.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby William Bragg » 24 May 2017, 19:35

Thanks for the reply. I know it works with ShapeMaker. But the Starburst Tool in in Tools palette doesn't seem to work concerning Random Spikes.
William Bragg

Postby MikeWenzloff » 24 May 2017, 20:11

Ah, yes.

I think how it works was depreciated in version 10 but the help doesn't seem to have been updated.

Try this. Double-click on the Star Tool. You should be able to set some parameters for a new star using the same dialog box as the ShapeMaker. Then add it using the plus sign under the preview box. Once made, you can select it, modify it by selecting it and double-clicking on the Star Tool and modify it.

Or, just create a star as normal (click-drag or click once). Once it is made, double click the Star Tool. Then change parameters whether you save a preset or not.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby William Bragg » 24 May 2017, 20:25

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure why XPress still has a Starburst Tool. The Star Tool/ShapeMaker can create a starburst and much more.
William Bragg

Postby MikeWenzloff » 25 May 2017, 10:00

I look at it as a quick shape. If that is all I want, then it is pretty quick and easy to drag it out and be done with it. It also might have legacy file implications...maybe.

I do know half the time (or more) I just use it instead of the ShapeMaker dialog.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General