PDFs are low-res when output settings are hi-res

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

PDFs are low-res when output settings are hi-res

Postby Fin » 20 Jun 2017, 09:19

hi, I'm having problems with final hi-res files I'm sending to the printer. A recent print job came back and the images looked very low-resolution. On spending time on the phone with the printer we discovered that the background images are all low-res despite my output settings all set to 300dpi. Typical sizes were lower than 100dpi. I've been trying several PDF outputs all at hi-res 300dpi size with no compression and the pictures are all low-res. I've looked back since upgrading to 2017 and all my hi-res outputs are actually low-res despite the settings. I can't work out what's going on.
Mac Pro 3.33 6-core, 48GB RAM, 2x1TB SSD (PCIe), 3x 1TB HD
Fin

Re: PDFs are low-res when output settings are hi-res

Postby MikeWenzloff » 20 Jun 2017, 10:19

This sort of sounds like images need updated. Check the usage panel to see if links are up to date.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby max.peter » 20 Jun 2017, 11:25

You have also to check what setting is used for output.
Meanwhile you might tell us the steps you're doing for getting the PDF files. Maybe we can find together what is wrong.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby Fin » 20 Jun 2017, 14:32

Max/Mike, thx for reply. All images are linked correctly. My immediate thought was I've messed up but been using quark since 1996 and have saved presets in place to speed up PDF choices on output. In saying that I've tried several settings now with the same results. All the high quality settings are outputting at low resolution. I back saved a test file and output the file with exactly the same settings from 2016 and from 2017, carefully checking each setting - the 2016 PDF is hi-res, 300dpi ready for print and the 2017 PDF is low-res despite the settings chosen. Is anybody else having this problem? Open your hi-res file in Acrobat - tools - edit object - click on an image from a hi-res 2017 output - right click - edit image - (opens in photoshop if you have it) - check file size. Apart from the overall speed at which my computer creates the print resolution file and the final file size, it's not obvious that the file is low-res - except when it comes back from the printer as low-res on what was a seriously expensive job. I will need to revert back to 2016 until I can be confident that the PDF is the resolution I intend it to be.
Fin

Postby MikeWenzloff » 20 Jun 2017, 15:46

I always check output in Acrobat and the files are fine.

I don't know what to suggest. Have you tried an as-installed profile? If not, try any of those. Can you share the project, even privately? If so, do a collect for output, zip that folder structure up, upload it to dropbox.com or the like and feel free to send me a private message with the download link.

Mi,e
MikeWenzloff

Postby Fin » 20 Jun 2017, 16:09

Hi Mike, yes tried all profiles and still low-res PDFs from hi-res settings. It's not just this file Mike, it's every file I've output since upgrading. None are at 300dpi even though the output is set at 300dpi. How do you check your files in Acrobat?
Fin

Postby MikeWenzloff » 20 Jun 2017, 17:28

Hi Fin, some of the below you know and is pedantic, but I'll include it here for any future person having the same issue.

First, select one of the images and look at the measurement palette as shown to see what QXP is reporting for PPI:

capture-001198.png
capture-001198.png (142.34 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

Assuming all is fine in Q, then in Acrobat, there are a few means of so doing and below are two of them. One method is the "nuclear" option and will list all the images, text blocks and vector information--everything about everything. Which on a large project can be overkill. But as this happens on every 2017 project, perhaps make a single one like I did using one of the offending images so the list is limited.

How one gets to the preflight panel depends on the version. I am using Acro XI and have added the button on the toolbar. But one can use the View menu, Tools, Print Production and then choose Preflight. If you have the tools pane on the right, you can likely get to it there by expanding it, etc.

Once the Preflight dialog is open, make the choice you see here. Depending upon the version, you will have more or less options, but the main ones have always been there and this is one of those. Expand the section indicated and then make the choice shown.

capture-001199.png
capture-001199.png (253.12 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

The results will then appear and expand the selection shown:

capture-001200.png
capture-001200.png (102.1 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

Continued in another post--limit is 3 images per post...
MikeWenzloff

Postby MikeWenzloff » 20 Jun 2017, 17:31

Another method is to open the Preview dialog and make the choice shown:

capture-001201.png
capture-001201.png (120.23 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

And then when you click on any image (well, a summary is shown for any object), the below is shown:

capture-001202.png
capture-001202.png (87.87 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

Notice that in every case in Acrobat, the same PPI is shown as per QXP.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby Fin » 21 Jun 2017, 02:45

Thx Mike that's extremely useful and I'll be checking everything from now on rather than trusting the quark settings - 16 jobs have gone to print since using Quark 2017. Some are vector based thankfully but all the rest are low-res files overriding my hi-res settings on output. It's deeply worrying and it's going to cost me a lot of money. Regardless, back to the problem. I've created 2 new files and worked through the issue side by side with Quark 2016:

1.jpg
New file. Image and text only. 2016 on the left, 2017 on the right.
1.jpg (128.66 KiB) Viewed 2016 times

2.jpg
No compression on PDF output.
2.jpg (150.83 KiB) Viewed 2016 times

3.jpg
Preflight, resolution indicated.
3.jpg (179.04 KiB) Viewed 2016 times

Clearly something serious at work here but I've been trying endless combinations of settings and the results are always the same - the PDFs from 2017 are always low-res no matter what settings I apply.
Fin

Postby MikeWenzloff » 21 Jun 2017, 07:44

Hi Fin,

Perhaps you could try exporting your output files from 2016 and importing them into 2017.

Or, perhaps deleting your preferences. For a Mac, I believe you can right-click or hover over the icon on the dock and an option will be for the Quark Cache Cleaner. When that opens, there should be a checkbox to also delete preferences.

Of course, any customization will be lost. You can copy your preferences folder to your desktop prior to deleting the preferences and if that makes no difference, you can copy them back--all this of course wit QXP not running.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Next

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General