Live Text Refresh

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Live Text Refresh

Postby prepress57 » 19 Jul 2017, 18:08

I had this same problem on QX 2016, but tried to ignore it assuming it would be addressed in QX 2017. When I click and drag the handle on a text box, most of the time I get the dotted line around the box which means I do not have a live refresh of how the text is being affected by the changes I am making to the box. Sporadically I will get a click with the live refresh; however, it seems to be random, as clicking and holding it for a short bit doesn't do anything like it used to. In instances where I need to see the effect of the changes I am making to the box I have to just click the handle over and over again until I finally get the box without the dotted line letting me know I have a live box, which I have noticed is a rarer instance in 2017 than 2016. This can take minutes, and being in a production setting this is not good for keeping things moving.

I thought I would try to adjust the refresh timer, but I could not find it. Of course I noticed this when I upgraded to 2016 from ver.8 a few months ago, but I knew I was upgrading to 2017 soon, so I thought I would wait after it was installed.

Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time!
prepress57

Re: Live Text Refresh

Postby MikeWenzloff » 19 Jul 2017, 18:33

I think I am missing something.

The only time I get a dotted line on a text box is when I am creating a new text box (and it is empty at that point). With a text box that has text in it, the border remain solid and the text within flows as I resize it. I am using Windows 10 and Q2017.

It may help for people to know what the OS is, what revision, maybe even the pointing device (mouse, trackball, stylus, etc.). Maybe even a video of what you are describing.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby prepress57 » 24 Jul 2017, 15:17

Thank you for the response.

That is how things always worked for me until upgrading.

I am using Mac OS X 10.12.5
The input devices I use are an Apple mighty mouse and a Wacom bamboo pad and stylus. Both behave the same. I tested it out with a standard usb mouse too and also had the same result.

Here is a video of the issue. Thanks again.
https://youtu.be/gdVpdg7xUJk
prepress57

Postby MikeWenzloff » 24 Jul 2017, 16:39

Weird! This is the first I've read about this. I'll see what I can find out on the closed Facebook group. You should consider joining that group. Quickest means of support and seeing if anyone else has such an issue.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 26 Jul 2017, 07:48

You need to "Click and Hold" for like a second or two, to enable "live" updates on changing the text box. This works fine for me using QuarkXPress 2017 on MAC OS 10.12.5. I am using a standard USB Apple mouse.

[I also posted this on your YouTube Video page]
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby prepress57 » 27 Jul 2017, 14:23

Thank you for your reply.

That is what I first thought, but I don't get a live refresh regardless of how long I hold it down. That is how it used to work back when they allowed you to adjust the time between clicking and enabling the live updates under the preferences, before they made the minimum time the standard.

I have posted another video showing what happens with an extended click and hold.
https://youtu.be/kTstECH8wQU
prepress57

Postby prepress57 » 01 Nov 2017, 17:14

thread bump...

Has anyone else experienced this yet, or is it still just me?
prepress57

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General