Can't add chapter to a book

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Can't add chapter to a book

Postby vwatson » 13 Sep 2017, 11:32

I'm new to QuarkXpress and using the 2017 version. I have a book file set up and have already added several chapters to it, but when I go to add another chapter, it won't add it and I get the following message:

One or more layouts of this project are already a part of another book and therefore cannot be added to the current one. To use the layout(s) in this book, please export the layout(s) as a separate project first.

I have to confess I have no idea what that means. :?

I believe I added all the chapters the same way and the others worked fine. I think I only have one layout in each of the chapter files. I just saved each chapter file as a new file, edited it, then added that file to the book.

I tried creating a new book file to try to add all the chapters to it, but that didn't work either. I deleted that book file, but from the above error message it seems to think that file still exists? I'm totally confused.
vwatson

Re: Can't add chapter to a book

Postby vwatson » 14 Sep 2017, 08:41

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I removed all the chapters from the book, copied each chapter file to a new folder, created a new book file and tried to add them to that book, but I still get the same message.

One or more layouts of this project are already a part of another book and therefore cannot be added to the current one. To use the layout(s) in this book, please export the layout(s) as a separate project first.

What does "export the layouts as a separate project" mean? Can I change the layout name somewhere in the project/chapter file? I don't see a way to do that.

It seems I'm not that far from completing this project, just need to put it all together into a book.

I'm switching from Indesign, where I created the book in much the same way, but I can't seem to get past this hurdle in QuarkXpress. :(
vwatson

Postby LyleM » 14 Sep 2017, 22:43

What you have to do is open the project that Quark complains about and do a Save a Copy. Then add the copy to your book. NEVER COPY A FILE that doesn't work. Always open the original file in Quark and then save as a new name'd file then use that one.

I feel your pain as I'm going down the same road and running into the same problems. I think I'm going to really like Quark but the learning process is painful.

There should be more written about how Quark handles files. You cannot simply make a copy of a project as Quark appears to remember where it came from and the result being that you end up with two books screwed up. Never use the same file in two books, which to me seems ludicrous but that's the way it works. Often you will have a part of a book that may be common and yet you can't have one copy but have to have multiple copies or that's the only way I can get it to work.

It may have something to do with Job Tickets but so far I haven't figured that out yet.
LyleM

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 15 Sep 2017, 01:27

vwatson wrote:I'm new to QuarkXpress and using the 2017 version. I have a book file set up and have already added several chapters to it, but when I go to add another chapter, it won't add it and I get the following message:

I have to confess I have no idea what that means. :?

I believe I added all the chapters the same way and the others worked fine. I think I only have one layout in each of the chapter files. I just saved each chapter file as a new file, edited it, then added that file to the book.

I tried creating a new book file to try to add all the chapters to it, but that didn't work either. I deleted that book file, but from the above error message it seems to think that file still exists? I'm totally confused.

Hi vwatson,

If a project is already added as chapter in a book, you cannot add it again as a chapter in another book. Even if you remove the chapter from the previous book, the chapter cannot be added to another book.

Solution:
You need to open the project and go to File menu > Save a Copy As/ Downsave menu . Select version as current version i.e. 2017 and select the layout and save it as project with a new name. Now you will be able to add the newly saved project as chapter in a new book.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby vwatson » 18 Sep 2017, 10:05

What is the best way to handle this if I have a series of books that will all have the exact same format?

I know enough now to make this work for this one book, but I don't know if I'm doing it the best way to make future books easy to add.

I've been reading about job jackets and job tickets, but creating a QXP book file creates its own job jacket, right? So I don't know how that works with what I've read about job jackets in general. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there on using book files in QXP.
vwatson

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General