Blank pages missing in PDF output

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Blank pages missing in PDF output

Postby LyleM » 13 Sep 2017, 16:12

I've ran into a case where some of the blank pages I've inserted to push the starting chapter page to the right side don't show up? It doesn't happen in every case and the only way I've been able to fix it is to change the Master Page to one with page numbers (a non-blank page). The page count is right but the blank page does not show up in the PDF output. Naturally this is with the include blank pages checked.

Any suggestions? I haven't yet figured out how to replicate it but in a document, I'm working on it happens every time on one particular page?
LyleM

Re: Blank pages missing in PDF output

Postby MikeWenzloff » 13 Sep 2017, 18:26

Perhaps this setting in the output style you are using?

capture-001395.png
capture-001395.png (12.33 KiB) Viewed 309 times
MikeWenzloff

Postby LyleM » 13 Sep 2017, 20:04

No I've got it checked.

It's weird, the pages show up as blank pages in Quark but they are missing in the PDF.

It probably doesn't make a difference but I've selected the High Definition output.
LyleM

Postby MikeWenzloff » 14 Sep 2017, 06:39

Hi Lyle,

I tried various publications last night and could't get it to fail. As a last resort, does have a new master page that is blank assigned to the misbehaving page(s) fix the issue? Or, perhaps something innocuous on that "blank" master page that is filled with white work?
MikeWenzloff

Postby LyleM » 14 Sep 2017, 11:18

Didn't help. I created a blank master page D-Master-D. Assigned the left side page as a D, made sure Include blanks was checked, and it skipped the blank page and put the starting chapter on the left.

I currently have 3 Master pages A, B, and C.

A is formatted at the beginning chapter head page and only the right side is used. The "A" side chapter head text is formatted with 10 inches above the text to force the chapter head page to start on a new page per suggestion I found on Quark's website.

B are the pages after the beginning A side and include page numbers and header text in addition to the body text

C is a blank page and the left side is only used to push the next Chapter head to the right side if the preceding chapter ended on the right side.

I've checked the text box linking and the text is linked from the end of the previous chapter to the beginning of the new chapter if that could make any difference.

If I change the master page to a "B" type so that the page number and header are printed, Quark does NOT skip the page like it does with a completely blank page. I could do that but you are "supposed" to have a blank page entirely blank.

I started with a 250 page word document and really don't want to go back and recreate the project from scratch again in the hopes that my problem will be solved.
LyleM

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General