Printing Blank exported PDFs through Acrobat

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Printing Blank exported PDFs through Acrobat

Postby bayleafmedia » 01 Nov 2017, 14:04

So,

I have an issue I am trying to track down. There are no errors reported either in the computers or the printer. We are having issues printing QuarkXPress-created PDFs to a specific Toshiba copier model we have in our offices. We just upgraded to 2017 from 2016 and have been experiencing this issue on all our Windows 7 PCs.

1. a document is created in QXP (Currently on the latest version).
2. the document is exported to PDF (standard, captured settings and Press quality settings tested.)
3. The document opens in the latest current version of Acrobat Readers on these users machines.
4. The users click print and put in their details.
5. The printer prints a blank page of the correct Paper size without an error.

Notes:
• We downloaded and reinstalled the printer drivers.
• We tested both PCL and PS drivers.
• We created the poster in Indesign CS6 (also MS Publisher for kicks) and used the same elements used in the QXP document without issue.
• All Mac users can print to this copier without issue.
• Mac users can print the PC-outputted PDFs without issue from the same, but Mac, version of Acrobat Reader.
• Printing directly from QXP results in the expected content being printed. (This is currently our workaround)

I have not attempted yet to reinstall QXP2016 to see if that experiences the same problem.

Have any of you run into this issue? Would you have any suggestions in trying to nail this down further?
bayleafmedia

Re: Printing Blank exported PDFs through Acrobat

Postby Blendbloke » 05 Nov 2017, 16:06

Hi
Maybe it is just a blind guess but have You tried to export Your document to PostScript file and distill it through Acrobat Distiller?
Blendbloke

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 06 Nov 2017, 03:17

Don't go through Distiller, that's a really old workflow.

Bayleaf,

so you see the page correctly in Acrobat? Even with overprint turned on?
If yes, can you run a preflight report in Acrobat? What does it say?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Blendbloke » 06 Nov 2017, 03:26

That's right Matthias. It is very old workflow and actually noone use it anymore but maybe, just maybe it would help to track what is wrong. I had similar issue some time ago and I did everything but distill that I didn't use for about 6 years now. It occurs that I had a problem with icc profile which was broken (I don't know how it happen).
Blendbloke

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General