Returning to Quark after 14 years away - first hour

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Returning to Quark after 14 years away - first hour

Postby smoothjeans » 03 Nov 2017, 05:31

Hi,

I'm just returning to Quark after 14 years away using InDesign. While there are features and functions which hold a lot of potential for me, I'm suffering the same as anyone who opens new software to do a familiar task: disorientation and panic.

My first hour of looking around Quark has left me with these immediate questions, any help at all would be very much appreciated. Apologies if these questions have been discussed before.

Any resources anyone can recommend would also be appreciated.

Many thanks

Sam

How do I:
• set default language?
• set default font?
• import swatch libraries?
• edit the horizontal control bar? It is always 1/3 empty, and what are the keystrokes to flip between the tabs?
• keep tabs from the horizontal control bar as palettes on the right-hand side.
• set keyboard nudge increments in .mm?
• force font weights to be sorted properly in font menu?
• view a complete list of key commands ordered by key rather than function?

I can't see the full name of the current font in the ‘home’ tab of the control bar, because the name is too long for the tiny space. This seems totally useless. Also can I have the font family name with style name drop-down underneath, like indesign?

I can only set text inset of a text box using an AppleScript? Really?
smoothjeans

Re: Returning to Quark after 14 years away - first hour

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 03 Nov 2017, 06:43

Hi Sam,

welcome back!

Have you started reading the manual? There are also good books about QuarkXPress and also video tutorials:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=29520

With default language, do you mean UI language or language of the content? You can set default resources by editing them with no document open.

About shortcut keys, you can either search for the specific key in preferences or you look at the documentation:
http://www.quark.com/Support/Documentat ... /2017.aspx

Text Insets you can set in the "text Box" tab of the measurement palette.

And please join us here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby smoothjeans » 03 Nov 2017, 08:09

Hi, thanks Matthias,

of course I will start to go through the manual, and you're quite right. I suppose though I sometimes find manuals are good for explaining what something can do, not so good for what it won't do. I will certainly be looking at more tutorials as time allows in the coming weeks.

About the languages, I meant the content, default language for all content is US english. Because all text options disappear / grey out when no file is open, I wondered how this change could be made.

With the Measurements tab, I have partly answered my questions with the manual, though I can't quite believe it: is it really true that these most regularly accessed (in my case) palettes can't be left open on the right-hand side, for quick reference? Although the impact of this can be mitigated by assigning sensible key commands to each of these commonly accessed tabs, I am astonished by this lack of flexibility.

I hope I made clear before that there's lots of stuff I'm very happy about too!

Thanks again

Sam

PS. I don't suppose you can still kill boxes with the little robot with the ray gun?
smoothjeans

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 03 Nov 2017, 08:29

Hi Sam,

"language" is not a document property in QuarkXPress, it's a character attribute. So close ALL documents please and edit the character style sheet "Normal" and set it to the language you need.

Correct, you cannot tear apart the measurement palette. You can quickly jump to each tab with a shortcut key. And some things you can see by looking at other palettes. Which info would you like to show all the time?

Correct, both Martians (Marvin and Alberto) are still stuck in Carbon. With the migration to Cocoa (QuarkXPress 10) they were left behind. Join us in the Facebook Group, there was petition to get them back.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby smoothjeans » 03 Nov 2017, 09:19

Thankyou, of course, default styles.

Which info would you like to show all the time?

I could be making a fool of myself here, but it seems that when working in a text box, I can't view character, line feed and paragraph spacing attributes at a glance?

Also. When I am developing style sheets, having the above information on hand is crucial, but observing the status of any currently applied style sheets is just as important. I have to look elsewhere to the palette on the right, which must stay open all the time, as it is the only place I can find this information displayed.

If the measurement bar could at least be full of contextual information all the time, this would go some way to assuaging this. But as I said my bar is only ever 2/3 full, 1/3 blank.

I would never assert my way is the right way and everyone else is doing it wrong. But I would assume the user base is diverse enough to justify more customisation.

All those years I thought robots.

Thanks

Sam
smoothjeans

Postby Jiri Melnicky » 03 Nov 2017, 11:29

I agree with Sam. Users would appreciate the fully customizable settings of the main palette. In Corel, the palette has the smallest details, even the appearance of icons, for 25 years! The QXD measurement palette can not be docked at the center of the monitor - it still holds to the left (at least version WIN 2016 does not know it). It's a problem on a big monitor. Sam, glad you work in MAC version. The version for windows does not yet have editable hotkeys! That's why I have a question for Mathias, and much please answer: When will this feature be available for Windows? Quark must overtake Indesign in most functions, not just in a few (great :) little things. Thank you
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win8, QXP9 & QXP2016
Jiri Melnicky

Postby Jiri Melnicky » 03 Nov 2017, 13:11

Sam, what is missing in the quark:
• Multiple import of images into empty picture boxes
• Thumbnails of used images
• Thumbnails of used pages
• You can not use the mirror function for multiple objects at a time
• You can not use the wrapping feature for multiple objects at a time
(examples where the function only works for one selected object is much more)
• You can not set the image preview resolution (when viewing the entire page, the previews are blurred)
• Editable keyboard shortcuts (WIN)

What is (in my opinion) Quark better:
• Hand tool - still on one (safe) ALT key (In Indesign ALT / Spacebar - this is the most funny "gadget" from Adobe)
• Images / text - drag and drop to another program / copy to a new folder (works with any number of objects)
• Native objects, editable PDF
• Working with a cropped image preview in a picture box is better solved
• Artificial italics for fonts without style
• Quick and exemplary support from Mathiass:)
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win8, QXP9 & QXP2016
Jiri Melnicky

Postby PetarMakedonecot » 05 Nov 2017, 07:51

Jiri Melnicky wrote:Sam, what is missing in the quark:
• Multiple import of images into empty picture boxes
• Thumbnails of used images
• Thumbnails of used pages
• You can not use the mirror function for multiple objects at a time
• You can not use the wrapping feature for multiple objects at a time
(examples where the function only works for one selected object is much more)
• You can not set the image preview resolution (when viewing the entire page, the previews are blurred)
• Editable keyboard shortcuts (WIN)

What is (in my opinion) Quark better:
• Hand tool - still on one (safe) ALT key (In Indesign ALT / Spacebar - this is the most funny "gadget" from Adobe)
• Images / text - drag and drop to another program / copy to a new folder (works with any number of objects)
• Native objects, editable PDF
• Working with a cropped image preview in a picture box is better solved
• Artificial italics for fonts without style
• Quick and exemplary support from Mathiass:)

In "Missing" section:
1. Live Preview of all Quark features, must be added. No more Apply butons.
2. Creating colors in Color Panel not in a window. With sliders for Tint, Opacity and Noise. Also, make them Global/Live with color values as their names.
3. Combination of Sliders/Arrows for numeric fields just like in ID.
Petar Petrenko
Typesetter - Graphic Designer - Photographer - DTP Trainer
Skopje, Makedonija
PetarMakedonecot

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General