Adding Text from a csv

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Adding Text from a csv

Postby raxoz1 » 08 Nov 2017, 10:34

Hi,

I am currently giving Quark a try and I was wondering whether it is possible to create a csv and add the text from those lines, as it is possible with InDesign (which I am also checking out right now)
So I have not decided, yet. However, I can save quite some time by using csvs, so that functionality would really help a lot ...

Other than buying JoLetter for the high amount of money, that I cannot afford, I am a student after all ...

best wishes and thanks in advance
raxoz1

Re: Adding Text from a csv

Postby MikeWenzloff » 08 Nov 2017, 11:35

Nope, not natively.

There are some XTensions for data merging. Which is appropriate would depend upon what the merge goals are. I dislike ID's native data merge even with the user-made scripts for easing the pain. So years ago I bought a license for Em Software's InData for use in ID (and also bought the QXP version named XData).

Basically the native ID merge is a dumbed-down version of merging in MS Word. It's more or less OK for simple work, but even then it isn't as flexible as Word can be.

Merging using the Em Software plug-in/XTension is far, far better. For more simple merging in QXP, the JoLetter XTension more or less replicates what ID can do without the use of JavaScript to facilitate more comprehensive and flexible merging.

Over the years, I have helped out a lot on the Adobe forum with respect to merging. One place where ID's native merge falls down is where one needs to use conditions for whether a field needs to be used and not even have the field or leading/post static text once the merge is run. And there really isn't available JavaScript that can handle it without scripting knowledge as they need customized for different scenarios. And I use to do a lot of that JavaScript work.

But such a thing is possible in XData. For instance, I make a lot of lists, price lists, stock lists, etc. And I only want the main category as a heading to appear once, then all items belonging to that category under that heading. Not possible using ID's merge and that creates a lot of fixing afterwords. Not to mention the individual text frames it creates for each record. There is a JavaScript to do what is called an in-line merge where the records flow in a single frame, and it does work but the other conditional merging cannot be done.

Anyway, sorry to report it means more money is involved. But after doing X amount of merging and cleanup in ID, Em Software's XTensions is one of the best add-on purchases I have ever made and would never go back to ID's native merge. There is a trial for both ID and QXP that are only limited to the number of records (if I recall, 50 records) that can be merged.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby raxoz1 » 09 Nov 2017, 03:26

I found an very old post on hilfdirselbst.ch talking about native function in QuarkXpres, the post, however originates in the mid of the last decade. It says there is a function "automatische Seiten einfügen am Textende". As I do not know, whether this function still exists (I could not find it ...)

IDs function is quite good for my purpose. I am writing a PHD in History and have some letters that are similar in Word order etc. but differ in case of Name, Date, rank and Greetings ...
Unlucky as I am, I am not working at the Department, so that I cannot wish for any software.

Anyway, sorry to report it means more money is involved. But after doing X amount of merging and cleanup in ID, Em Software's XTensions is one of the best add-on purchases I have ever made and would never go back to ID's native merge. There is a trial for both ID and QXP that are only limited to the number of records (if I recall, 50 records) that can be merged.

I installed JoLetter, which basically functions like ID (but better, as far as I can tell) and I can create 10 sets over and over again, at least that's what I think, as I have worked several hours with it and there was no note that it cannot do the job any longer.
However, I have about 100 of these letters, as mentioned above. So I could get around it, but that's messy.
Do you know, by chance, whether the trial for XData is limited to 50 records per file or to 50 records at all?

I would certainly buy the software, but in Germany there is a giveaway of QuarkXpress 15 ongoing with C`t, a computer magazine, so that I would not have to pay shitloads of money for a great software, and I am a student without an income allowing these kind of spendings ...

Thanks for your elaborate response :-)
raxoz1

Postby MikeWenzloff » 09 Nov 2017, 08:18

Glad to know something of my babbling was of use! JoLetter is good fr what it does and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

The reference you gave was about automatic page flow and that is present. Look in the help if you currently are using a trial of Q or obtain the apparent free version. Or, post any questions here in the forum and likely I'll see it or someone else will if you get stuck on something. Also consider joining the QuarkXPress closed Facebook group as that is where most users are asking questions and the response is usually very immediate.

Take care, Mike
MikeWenzloff

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General