Spinning Beach Ball

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Spinning Beach Ball

Postby chrisnz_nz » 06 Dec 2017, 23:41

Hi all,

I have spent a bit of time working in XQP 2017 now, on a book with 3 chapters, total size is 120pp. So the typical chapter file has about 40 pages and I keep getting the spinning beach ball for about 20 seconds very regularly. I have disabled the font management extensions already, because with the Suitcase extension active, it is much worse. I also have changed the default autosave settings to 30 minutes to try and see if it was that. But now improvement yet. Any other ideas what might cause this on a Mac Pro (current tin can) with 64GB RAM and SSD Drives, MAC OS 10.12.6

This is less annoying than many other small things in QXP, but would like to solve it obviously. However, i won't have hours and days to play around with different things right now :(

Any helps and suggestions welcome.

Cheers
Chris
chrisnz_nz

Re: Spinning Beach Ball

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 07 Dec 2017, 00:07

We have had people report this if Suitcase is installed. I see that you tried disabling the XTensions in QuarkXPress. However, please try to quit (disable) Suitcase completely and try again. You may also want to install the latest available update of Suitcase as they have fixed these issues in the past.
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby chrisnz_nz » 07 Dec 2017, 07:19

Sarbjit Singh wrote:We have had people report this if Suitcase is installed. I see that you tried disabling the XTensions in QuarkXPress. However, please try to quit (disable) Suitcase completely and try again. You may also want to install the latest available update of Suitcase as they have fixed these issues in the past.

When i check for updates, it is telling me this...
Suitcase Fusion 18.2.4 is currently the newest version available.

Also, I don't have suitcase running as such normally. The only thing I can try is to un-install Suitcase completely, but then I will have font issues anyway because I am not about to go back ancient times of installing fonts in any system font folder...

I will try to get in touch with Extensis, but I am not hopeful for any info or help from them.

Did you mean un-installing?

Cheers
Chris
chrisnz_nz

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 07 Dec 2017, 08:29

I think the latest version is 19.0.2 (you may need to upgrade for that). Please check these links:

https://www.extensis.com/support/suitca ... ase-notes/

https://www.extensis.com/support/suitca ... 8-support/

If you can uninstall it temporarily, we can be sure about it's impact on QuarkXPress performance. Then, we can troubleshoot accordingly.
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby chrisnz_nz » 07 Dec 2017, 21:37

Sarbjit Singh wrote:I think the latest version is 19.0.2 (you may need to upgrade for that). Please check these links:

https://www.extensis.com/support/suitca ... ase-notes/

https://www.extensis.com/support/suitca ... 8-support/

If you can uninstall it temporarily, we can be sure about it's impact on QuarkXPress performance. Then, we can troubleshoot accordingly.

I have now upgraded Suitcase. Seems the same as before. Means I am going to uninstall test a bit if I get time, and report back. Really annoying and taking up a lot of time on top of trying to change habits and tools.

Thanks
Chris
chrisnz_nz

Postby chrisnz_nz » 08 Dec 2017, 21:04

Ok, I have tested a bit more now with Suitcase uninstalled and rebooted machine.

Without activating the font needed for the book/documents I am working on and now also after activating the font needed with the basic Font Book app from Apple, I get the same delay (spinning beachball) of 27 seconds. The time needed for a save is very consistent. And I can repeat this with a very basic opening of a document, moving just one image around, scrolling down a few pages (lots of images in those documents) and then save. Same thing every time.

So, is that related perhaps to the number of images in the document? But then, I also found this issue very early on when setting up the book and project files for this job from scratch. So I can't imagine that it is really the images.

In any case, this issue is at the top of my list of gripes with QXP vs ID, so if you can solve that one without me having to spend a lot of time investigating, un-installing and re-installing and testing... it would help tremendously.

Cheers
Chris
chrisnz_nz

Postby MikeWenzloff » 08 Dec 2017, 21:17

chrisnz_nz wrote:Ok, I have tested a bit more now with Suitcase uninstalled and rebooted machine.

Without activating the font needed for the book/documents I am working on and now also after activating the font needed with the basic Font Book app from Apple, I get the same delay (spinning beachball) of 27 seconds. The time needed for a save is very consistent. And I can repeat this with a very basic opening of a document, moving just one image around, scrolling down a few pages (lots of images in those documents) and then save. Same thing every time.

So, is that related perhaps to the number of images in the document? But then, I also found this issue very early on when setting up the book and project files for this job from scratch. So I can't imagine that it is really the images.

In any case, this issue is at the top of my list of gripes with QXP vs ID, so if you can solve that one without me having to spend a lot of time investigating, un-installing and re-installing and testing... it would help tremendously.

Cheers
Chris

Not Sarbjit here. But Sarbjit will be back, maybe after the weekend, but who knows. It may be that they'll request access to your computer.

I have zero idea why this is happening and I use Windows...I just finished a series of novels last week that were in excess of 400 pages (mostly text + few images at the chapter starts and some interior images), and a coffee table book that was image heavy that was 240 pages, all in a single layout. No issues.

The only reports I've seen have been in conjunction with SC and even having the auto-activate XTension installed (but not being used per se) has had the effect you describe on a few computers. I would have to find those posts on FB to see what, if anything, resolved the issue.

I don't use any auto-activation in anything, so I have no experience (though I did try SC once to see it work). Cannot recall any devastating issues.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby chrisnz_nz » 08 Dec 2017, 22:18

MikeWenzloff wrote:
chrisnz_nz wrote:Ok, I have tested a bit more now with Suitcase uninstalled and rebooted machine.

The only reports I've seen have been in conjunction with SC and even having the auto-activate XTension installed (but not being used per se) has had the effect you describe on a few computers. I would have to find those posts on FB to see what, if anything, resolved the issue.

I don't use any auto-activation in anything, so I have no experience (though I did try SC once to see it work). Cannot recall any devastating issues.

Mike

Well, I have Suitcase un-installed still, and simply added the one font needed with Font Book app from Apple. Apart from that, no other font management software installed own my current main work drive partition. So I assume I can safely exclude the font being an issue. I think it has something to do with images. I just found another annoying issue that I wasn't sure what caused it, but have posted a new thread now.

Cheers
Chris
chrisnz_nz

Postby chrisnz_nz » 08 Jan 2018, 17:50

BUMP

I just got back from a break and am back into working with 2 larger books. Now I get book/file opening times of 60+ seconds and file opening/save time of 2 minutes!! It is just frustrating to see such poor performance of QXP 2017 on a MacPro with SSD drive and 64Gb of RAM (on OSX Sierra 10.12.6). I have updated Suitcase as requested, but still disabled since that has not helped, and am working with only two Fonts in this book.

I had enough of the little issues caused by trying to return from ID, let alone these performance issues like saving files or, screen rendering really slow when you have a simple multiply effect on a single box in a layout, etc.

Is there any hope to resolve those issues? If Quark can't be bothered to respond here, then I might as well give up now. Get my projects done asap and then succumb to the subscription of ID until Affinity kick some life into their layout tool soo...

Cheers
Chris
chrisnz_nz

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 09 Jan 2018, 03:35

Hi Chris,

the official way to get support is to contact our technical support and create an incident.

Forums or Facebook can help, however for specific issues often they are not the right instruments for a detailed analysis or solution. We hardly see any users having issues with QuarkXPress 2017, so a more detailed analysis is required.

Have you contacted support yet? Either here www.quark.com/support or by writing an email to support@quark.com

You can then report the outcome here.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General