Performance Problems

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Performance Problems

Postby GerdM » 29 Dec 2017, 03:59

On my new iMac 5K 2017 with 32 GB RAM I have performance problems using QuarkXPress 2017 (13.1.1) - is this a general problem or is it something which only occurs on my computer?
GerdM

Re: Performance Problems

Postby Six » 29 Dec 2017, 12:10

What kind of problems?
Something like:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=29716
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=29419
Six

Postby GerdM » 30 Dec 2017, 10:17

Scrolling in documents with many pictures is sluggish and not running smoothly, kind of stuttering. Any kind of action is not executed immediately but with a slight (but noticeable) delay.
GerdM

Postby Jiri Melnicky » 30 Dec 2017, 11:31

I do not know how it works with Mac OS, but in Windows when you scroll, just hold down the Alt key and scroll is smoother and faster. Try Option key...
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win8, QXP3.1–QXP2017
Jiri Melnicky

Postby GerdM » 30 Dec 2017, 13:12

Just talked to Apple: they recommended to do a clean install and then re-install all applications.

Question: if I delete everything on my iMac, do I have to de-acivate QuarkXPress in advance and re-activate it after the clean instal or does the activation software of Quark recognize that I re-instal the application on the same computer where I had previously an already activated copy? I use a single licence and have it installed twice (on my iMacs in my business office and my home office).
GerdM

Postby Six » 30 Dec 2017, 13:23

Don't waste your time with clean install.
QuarkXpress have problems with scrolling (extremely slow and jerky) when using certain high resolution 4K/5K displays.
Six

Postby MikeWenzloff » 30 Dec 2017, 20:21

GerdM wrote:Just talked to Apple: they recommended to do a clean install and then re-install all applications.

Question: if I delete everything on my iMac, do I have to de-acivate QuarkXPress in advance and re-activate it after the clean instal or does the activation software of Quark recognize that I re-instal the application on the same computer where I had previously an already activated copy? I use a single licence and have it installed twice (on my iMacs in my business office and my home office).

Use the Transfer License option from the Help menu (on Windows anyway). That applies to any application that has such a function. If not this install, sooner or later the license count tops out.

I don't have a highDPI monitor and don't experience the issue. So it maybe that with the highDPI monitor there is a problem. Are your other computers using highDPI monitors and if not, do they experience the issue?

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby GerdM » 31 Dec 2017, 09:30

Six: (unfortunately) you were right - I did the clean install but it was a waste of time, the result is as slow as before.

Can it really be that a professional software like QuarkXPress 2017 has problems when used on 4K/5K displays? Are all users working on old computers with low resolution displays? When a rapid workflow is not possible on 4K/5K monitors how can Quark pretend their software is able to run on a modern High Sierra iMac?
GerdM

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 03 Jan 2018, 03:46

Hi Gerd,

Happy New Year!

On our iMac 5k QuarkXPress works just fine (and fast), the issues seem to be specific to a graphical card or the files used.

Can you please submit a bug report to support@quark.com?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby GerdM » 03 Jan 2018, 15:41

Hi Matthias,

also to you all the best for 2018.

I don't have a bug report because the iMac is "just" slow, but the software is not crashing (that's when I usually get a bug report). Or is there another way to receive a bug report?

Best
Gerhard
GerdM

Next

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General