right-/left-aligned conditional style

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

right-/left-aligned conditional style

Postby kazu » 04 Jan 2018, 08:28

Is it possible to create a style / conditional style, which starts with a right-aligned paragraph, followed by a distance and left-aligned content? Maybe, for a list or just text like closing credits in (old) films.

Problem is that I need two paragraph styles, right and left aligned, and then the two character styles for formatting. Is it technically feasible?

kazu

Re: right-/left-aligned conditional style

Postby MikeWenzloff » 04 Jan 2018, 15:25

I'm having a problem following the design logic, so just a comment or two.

If I were doing what I think you are describing, I would have a paragraph style with a right-aligned tab followed by a left-aligned tab a small distance apart. So from your screen shot, the numbering would end up right-aligned and any subsequent number or text so aligned would run towards the left, followed by another tab which has text that would run towards the right (left aligned).

Does that make sense?
MikeWenzloff

Postby kazu » 05 Jan 2018, 03:46

Does design make sense? Certainly not always ;)

From a video by Martin Turner:

What I want is, as seen in the screenshot, that the numbers are right aligned with each other.
kazu

Postby MikeWenzloff » 05 Jan 2018, 10:42

For numbering, that would be a numbering style with the numbers set to right align.

capture-001629.png
capture-001629.png (39.92 KiB) Viewed 143 times

Numbering doesn't have to be out of frame, but for a simple creation I mostly just used the default settings.

But for something like movie credits, it needs handled differently. For instance, in version 2017 I would use the tabs, or the Column Flow feature or a table.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby kazu » 09 Jan 2018, 02:55

Works great for numbered / ordered lists.
Would be great if it be useable synonymous for ToC. But for simple lists, that's great.
Tanks!
kazu

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General