Slow performance (unusable) compared to 9.5

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Slow performance (unusable) compared to 9.5

Postby MarkyBoy » 15 Feb 2018, 13:38

I have a set of 9 catalogues that I maintain - I have been doing this ongoing project since Quark 4 without issues!.... Essentially, I need to open all the catalogues (each file is approx. 80MB) and then I update images, copy prices between versions and update text etc etc - all fairly standard stuff. However, I have always been able to open all the 9 files at once to flick between them very smoothly and easily, but in the new Quark 2017, I can only open two files before the program runs so slowly as to be unusable (lots of beach balls etc). Simple tasks like scrolling a page takes about 30 seconds, find and replace extremely slow - it becomes unusable.

I seem to recall that on older versions of Quark you could adjust the amount of memory used for cache and perhaps this needs to be done on the latest version but I cannot find a setting for it anywhere.

I have done this task for this client for about 14 years and is a continual update of content process and I need to have all 9 files open at once - this has always been possible / easy in previous Quark versions.

I have rebuilt the preferences, recreated each file by appending to a new document - all to no improvement... Perhaps it is to do with the new image rendering (there are about 400 images in each document).

Any suggestions please?!!

Thanks
Mark
MarkyBoy

Re: Slow performance (unusable) compared to 9.5

Postby chrisnz_nz » 20 Feb 2018, 03:05

Hi Mark,

I also have issues with larger files and to me it seems QXP is really slow in rendering and scrolling, but I also found font software can make it twice as bad. I had remove the Suitcase Ext. to get it to a point of semi reasonable speed. I have not had the time yet to prep and send files to Quark support unfortunately. But they seem not terribly interested anyway. When I have a fresh file started at the beginning it is very zippy, but after a while, as you dump more and more content, it seems to slow down. My files have about 600 images (spread over 3 separate files in a book setup). Not much help, I know, but at least you know you are not the only one :)

Cheers
Chris
chrisnz_nz

Postby chrisnz_nz » 21 Feb 2018, 15:07

Hi Mark,

I have just noticed in one of my 2 large projects (in the last stage of being completed) that as I am removing some quick image edits inside Quark and actually doing those image edits in photo shop, the 'file save' times have improved a lot! I am wondering if you have used the Quark image editing tools? Once I have completed this job I can duplicate the files and try a few more things relating to image edit and performance. Because this has been a real down side for me to switching from ID late last year. If that is indeed one of the main culprits, it would be good to have another user confirm this too.

Cheers
Chris
chrisnz_nz

Postby renatemiller » 22 Feb 2018, 10:35

Hi,
my experience - since I use Quark Xpress 2017, System El Capitan, the app runs and saves the documents very very slowly.
Also files I used for years in Quark 2009 run slowly. Normally I have 4 to 6 pages with 10 to 15 pictures in it (tifs).
I deactivated Suitcase, but performance becomes not really better. Also sudden crashes increases in Quark 2017.
If I had known this, I would not have updated.
Now I try to update to Sierra, maybe that helps, has anyone experience with this?
Sorry for my english.
LG Renate
renatemiller

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 23 Feb 2018, 03:31

Hi Renate,

we do not know this as a general issue, though we have seen that some customers (or some files) cause QuarkXPress to slow down. And there are several reasons which are typically easily solved. Have you contacted support about it?

And yes, QuarkXPress 2017 works fine on High Sierra and Sierra. Best to create a clone of your Mac and then try it yourself first.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby renatemiller » 23 Feb 2018, 03:38

Hi Matthias,
thank you. I did contact support, but didn't get an answer until now.
I will try Sierra because my system administrator is not happy with High Sierra yet.
Until now, I could not solve the problem with the fonts, because I need Suitcase for the Adobe Apps, but Xpress 2017 runs very sloly with Suitcase, I don't know what to do.
LG Renate
renatemiller

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 23 Feb 2018, 03:47

Hi Renate,

have you seen this tip?
https://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/foren/Quar ... tml#562485
Seems to solve the Suitcase slowdown issue for many people.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby MarkyBoy » 06 Mar 2018, 12:32

chrisnz_nz wrote:Hi Mark,

I also have issues with larger files and to me it seems QXP is really slow in rendering and scrolling, but I also found font software can make it twice as bad. I had remove the Suitcase Ext. to get it to a point of semi reasonable speed. I have not had the time yet to prep and send files to Quark support unfortunately. But they seem not terribly interested anyway. When I have a fresh file started at the beginning it is very zippy, but after a while, as you dump more and more content, it seems to slow down. My files have about 600 images (spread over 3 separate files in a book setup). Not much help, I know, but at least you know you are not the only one :)

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris - you are absolutely correct that you start a document and once you start putting in a lot of images, particularly if the original images are of a large file size then Quark becomes unusable as it is trying to render too many images at high res. You used to be able to select whether to display in Quark at high or low res, but this feature has gone it seems in 2017 - I do not know a solution!
MarkyBoy

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General