Select Image Display Resolution

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Select Image Display Resolution

Postby MarkyBoy » 06 Mar 2018, 12:38

I am having serious problems since upgrading to Quark 2017.... If you have a lot of high resolution (large file size) images, then Quark tries to render them at a high resolution, so you can use the image editor (I presume).

If you start a new document, it works fine but as you start to add more and more images, it gets slower and slower until it takes ages to even scroll down the page.

In previous versions you could set high or low preview resolutions which would help, but this feature is not in 2017 that i can see - you also used to be able to set the cache size - again you can't do this.

The problem is the cache for images (confirmed by Quark Support), but I am at a loss as to how to workaround this.

I renamed the image folder to try and fool Quark into thinking that all images were missing and this works, confirming the above - however, this is not possible to do if you have images in many different folders that are also used for other apps.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help with this issue?

Thanks
Mark
MarkyBoy

Re: Select Image Display Resolution

Postby Jiri Melnicky » 06 Mar 2018, 13:23

This feature was canceled in QXP10 when Quark implemented the Xenon Graphic Engine. Xenon renders sharp previews at great magnification. Otherwise, the previews are unfortunately less sharp than those in version 9.5. Today, the QXP user can not determine the extent to which the open document will burden the computer. Quark is probably convinced that the user is more satisfied if he has no choice. I installed the trial version of CC2018 and I am amazed at how the ID perfectly renders preview of images. The software is noticeably faster than QXP2017.
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win8, QXP3.1–QXP2017
Jiri Melnicky

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General