Pictures move position prior to PDF process

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Pictures move position prior to PDF process

Postby GlobeandBuster » 23 May 2018, 02:17

We have used QXP for in excess of 12 years. Currently using QXP17.
While building our magazine (av of 88 pages), we produce a low res copy of all imagery as well as full res final versions, allowing us to use the low res versions during the build and editing process, saving time/memory on 'saves' and 'edits'. When we are then ready to produce our final PDF for printing we then replace all the imagery with the high res versions. However, out of the blue this final import of the high res versions is now leaving us with a large number of images needing to be re-positioned, as during the import process they move. The image sizes have not been changed, they are identical, just higher res copies. On a typical run, this will involve approx. 40 images out of 150 that completely re-position themselves, for no apparent reason.

We have not made any changes to our processes or settings that have been the same for years and years and cannot understand why our images are now moving once the final import process is carried out. Can anyone help please, this is creating a real problem?
Regards

Globe & Buster
GlobeandBuster

Re: Pictures move position prior to PDF process

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 23 May 2018, 04:10

Hi GlobeandBuster,

Thank you for contacting Quark and sharing the feedback.

Kindly check the following:
1. When relink the image ensure the option 'Maintain Picture attributes' is checked.
2. Check if it is an JPEG image what was the size and resolution shown in the legacy version and in the current version.

Kindly send the CFO of the project to analyze the issue. (apalaniappan@quark.com)

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby GlobeandBuster » 23 May 2018, 04:19

Thank you for getting back to us. Could you please confirm where is the option 'Maintain Picture Attributes'?
The images are TIFFs for both the high and low res versions, we have never used JPEGs in over 12 years. The sizes in both versions are the same, only the resolution is different. High Res are 300dpi, Low Res are 99 dpi.

Finally, what is the CFO please?
Regards

Globe & Buster
GlobeandBuster

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 23 May 2018, 04:23

Hi GlobeandBuster,

It is available in the Import dialog. (after selecting any image observe)

CFO is collect for output (project, images, fonts, profile) is required to analyze the issue.

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby GlobeandBuster » 23 May 2018, 05:10

OK, very sorry, some confusion here. We do not use CFO in our processes.

We build the magazine using the low res images as stated previously. When we are ready to create the final PDF (Export as PDF) we delete the folder containing the low res versions of all images. We then point QXP in the direction of the folder containing the high res copies. These are then updated to replace the low res versions and usually take the exact same position as the previous versions. However, just recently many images are unexplainably re-positioning themselves.
Regards

Globe & Buster
GlobeandBuster

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 25 May 2018, 04:33

It seems you are using the OPI XT with QuarkXPress legacy versions. From QXP 10.x onwards we don't support OPI XT. Kindly place high resolution images in the layout and output to PDF and let us know if you are facing any issues.
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby GlobeandBuster » 25 May 2018, 05:36

We really don't know what OPI is, can you explain please?

Also, we are on QXP 17 NOT any of the legacy versions, as explained from the very beginning of this post. Please explain.
Regards

Globe & Buster
GlobeandBuster

Postby MikeWenzloff » 26 May 2018, 12:40

Hi G&B,

I've used your process in the past once in a while.

To explain a bit about OPI. Which stands for Open Press Interface. We always called it FPO which stands for For Position Only. Prior to QXP 10, one could have an automated work-flow using low-res and automatically switch to the high-res versions for press.

In any case, I nearly always used the more manual method you mention. I cannot remember ever having the issue you are describing.

What I do currently when I am using low-res versions is that I scale all the images 25% of the high-res versions and use an Item Style to force the fit to the image box. Then when I swap out the folder, the high-res versions all end up fitting as per the low-res ones. But I also am not scaling images within any picture boxes in Q.

What I don't know is information about your images. Are they the same pixel dimensions for the low-res & high-res versions? Grayscale versus RGB or CMYK?
MikeWenzloff

Postby GlobeandBuster » 29 May 2018, 02:11

Mike,

Thanks for your post. We scale the low res versions down, i.e. full versions 300dpi down to 99dpi for the low res, thus saving the load on the RAM.Both versions are CMYK TIFFs.

We are amazed that without making any changes or upgrades to our software, things have suddenly started working very differently. Disappointingly Quark don't seem that bothered in helping either
Regards

Globe & Buster
GlobeandBuster

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 29 May 2018, 04:00

Hi GlobeandBuster,

Thank you for contacting Quark and sharing the workflow details.

I am able to reproduce the issue and reported a new legacy defect in our database and we will look into this issue.

QXP 2017 is capable of handing high resolution images, kindly import the high resolution image in the layout and output and let us know if you are facing any issue. (by skipping the low res - high res re-linking steps)

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Next

Return to QuarkXPress 2017: General