Document text highlighting issues

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/

Document text highlighting issues

Postby S-J » 27 May 2018, 11:37

I recently upgraded from Q8 to Q2018 - running on Windows 10 Pro. Despite much searching on internet I cannot find solutions to the following two problems I have with Quark regarding text highlighting;

1) The text highlighting during Edit>Find/Change is irritatingly a feint light blue and at most times when I have a reasonable zoom level on the document, the highlight is so feint that one suffers eye strain trying to find the highlight. Is there any way in which this highlight can be made darker (or more visible).

2) Before upgrading to Quark, I used Scribus quite extensively and it had an extremely useful feature, namely highlighting with a red boxed x, any empty space in the document text where the selected font in the Scribus document does not have an equivalent glyph to the font used in say the Word manuscript font of the imported text. In Quark there is simply an empty space where the missing glyph would have been. In Scribus this red x would also print to paper on my checking copy. Not having (or not being able to activate) this feature in Quark thus presents a risk of getting one's design product wrong.

Any feedback on the above will be highly appreciated.
S-J

Re: Document text highlighting issues

Postby bluegreen » 29 May 2018, 12:36

Not being a user of Scribus or anything similar, I can't offer any help for #2, but if you haven't already, check the Facebook group for Quark; plenty of Windows users there that I'm sure could help on #1. I'm on a Mac and the text highlight color is controlled by the system and thus set from the System Preferences. Not sure if the Windows version operates in a similar manner or not, but I'm sure that the users on the Facebook group could help fairly quickly.
bluegreen

Postby MikeWenzloff » 29 May 2018, 17:34

I second the FB group.

#1. The highlight is fine here. As far as I can see, there's no means of changing it. It could be related to a theme setting in Windows. I didn't really delve into it but didn't find it easily.

#2. That feature in Scribus might be nice. In any valid font there is a character named .notdef (stands for not defined). And that glyph will show if the font being used has something in that glyph ID slot. Unfortunately, there are a lot of fonts, both made by professionals and novice alike, that have nothing there for displaying there is a glyph missing.

Further on #2. I don't know if QXP's Invisibles font, which also has nothing in the .notdef slot either (tsk, tsk, Quark) is or can be used for this function. But technically it is possible and should be easy to implement if it isn't already. I can see if I put something there if it would show up later this evening. Might be a fun experiment...but I think I'll email someone there first and see what is suppose to happen (i.e., if the Invisibles font is used in the event of a missing glyph).
MikeWenzloff

Postby S-J » 02 Jun 2018, 03:29

Thanks guys for getting back on this, at least I don't feel too bad that I could not solve these problems myself. Will look at FB and see what goes on there. Meantime the work around is to zoom in so the highlight is more visible. Solution probably hidden somewhere in the Windows system.

Since posting I realised that #2 clarification is possibly appropriate. After importing text from say Word, then applying a style in Quark 2018 and the imported text contains say a symbol, all works as advertised as the placeholder where the symbol would have appeared has a x highlight to indicate the missing font. However, where I did not notice the place holder x is typically where the imported text had a fraction which is not in the applied style text, then there appears to be no warning for the missing glyph. Possibly as it was part of the font that is being replaced by the applied style (and not say a different font like symbol) that it does not get picked up?
S-J

Postby MikeWenzloff » 02 Jun 2018, 08:43

Fractions and character substitution in general.

Word and other Microsoft applications will substitute characters a particular font doesn't have with one that does and never tell the user. This happens a lot and I can see it likely happening with built fractions. Why Q wouldn't show it is another thing. Or even build the fraction as it also has a font fallback mechanism and the ability to fake fractions that are not actually in a font as composed fractions.

In versions of Q prior to version 2018, the frac (fraction) feature in an OpenType or OT feature TT file was never truly processed as an OpenType feature. So I don't know if this may contribute to the issue.

It might be good to strip down a sample Word file that simply has a fraction or two in it that causes Q to fail to display it. And then upload it here.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Return to QuarkXPress 2018: General