Which version of QuarkXPress was your first?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.

Which version of QuarkXPress was your first one?

Quark XPress 1
3%
QuarkXPress 2
14%
QuarkXPress 3
66%
QuarkXPress 4
7%
QuarkXPress 5
No votes
QuarkXPress 6
No votes
QuarkXPress 7
No votes
QuarkXPress 8
No votes
QuarkXPress 9
7%
QuarkXPress 10
3%

Total votes : 29

Which version of QuarkXPress was your first?

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 22 Jul 2014, 03:11

Good morning!

While throwing out some old bookmarks I found an interesting site I had marked several years ago and that seems to collect old splash screens:
http://www.guidebookgallery.org/splashes/quarkxpress/

Brings back a lot of memories, I started with
    QuarkXPress 3.1
    Photoshop 2.5
    Freehand 3.1
    (and occasionally CorelDraw 1.0, Illustrator 88 and PageMaker 5)
when I was still working in a prepress studio. QuarkXPress 1 and 2 I had never seen.

When did you start with QuarkXPress? Do you have interesting splash screens of legacy versions somewhere?

Regards
Matthias

Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Which version of QuarkXPress was your first?

Postby Andrej Podgajny » 22 Jul 2014, 04:05

Hi!
Started in QuarkXPress 4.1. I think this version of the best, stable for which released a huge amount of different XTensions. I have experience in this version on the PC and Mac. I will say even more than I did the update, but just bought QuarkXPress 7, and then updated it to the older versions. So I still running the version of QuarkXPress 4.1 and I would gladly use it when there is work for this. Very sorry that QuarkXPress 4.1 is not compatible with OSX.
Andrej Podgajny

Postby superstyrk » 22 Jul 2014, 07:52

He he, My first version was 2.0, not a good one for design, like Pagemaker, but still more typographic. I worked in Ready Set Go! and Pagemaker, just playing with Quark 2.0. When 3.0 launched the new world opened. Away with the closed boxes!!!!
superstyrk

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 22 Jul 2014, 08:37

superstyrk wrote:Away with the closed boxes!!!!

I even once co-wrote a book for QuarkXPress 4. Remember BOOKS? ;-)
Just kidding, my last book actually deliberately is only available in Print, no eBook or ePDF.

Cheers
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby franz.wohlkoenig » 22 Jul 2014, 14:46

Hi,

all of 3 Hüglis are like Bibles, special the first one (QXP3) very helpful and impressing.

Regards
27" iMac • 3,1 GHz Intel Core i5 • 12 GB Memory • System: macOS 10.13.4
XPress since 3.1, actual 2017
franz.wohlkoenig

Postby UtahLlama » 22 Jul 2014, 15:15

3 for me

:D

Cleric: And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.
UtahLlama

Postby eyoungren » 22 Jul 2014, 16:00

Andrej Podgajny wrote:Hi!
Started in QuarkXPress 4.1. I think this version of the best, stable for which released a huge amount of different XTensions. I have experience in this version on the PC and Mac. I will say even more than I did the update, but just bought QuarkXPress 7, and then updated it to the older versions. So I still running the version of QuarkXPress 4.1 and I would gladly use it when there is work for this. Very sorry that QuarkXPress 4.1 is not compatible with OSX.

XPress 4.x, like 3.x before it had a lot of XTensions because Quark did not make any of those things an actual part of the program. That was by design of course, but it meant that you had to pay extra for extra things.

You're sorry that XPress 4.x was never compatible with OS X. What about the XPress 5.x users who updated only to find out it was OS9? The Quark forums shut down for an entire year because the vocal criticism and outcry over that was extremely toxic. By the time XPress 6.0 came along Quark had ceded the lead to Adobe.

And seriously? You'd really want an OS X version of QuarkXPress 4.x? No dropshadows, no PDF import no PDF export, no PSD import, no AI import, no font embedding when exporting EPS, no transparency, no compatibility with Suitcase X1, let alone Fusion, Fusion 2, 3, 4 and 5. You really want to go back to the era of doing all your artwork inside Photoshop and then importing, going back and forth between the two apps to tweak your layout? XPress 10 so far doesn't even offer stroked text! It's still text to box!

Don't get me wrong, I am very much pro-QuarkXPress and I am not yelling at you. But seriously, there's been vast improvements since version 4.x.

But if you really want to go back to XPress 4, then find a Tiger based PowerPC Mac (an Intel Mac running Tiger won't work) and move a Classic OS9 System folder over to it. You can run XPress on OS X in Classic. Be aware that you will have issues, like font issues and screen redraw issues. Suitcase X1 and Suitcase 10 will work across Classic and OS X. If you're on PC, it will still work under Win7 using compatibility mode.
Last edited by eyoungren on 22 Jul 2014, 16:09, edited 4 times in total.
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001
eyoungren

Postby eyoungren » 22 Jul 2014, 16:05

Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:When did you start with QuarkXPress? Do you have interesting splash screens of legacy versions somewhere?

I started in school with XPress 3.03. My first paying job was as an Ad Compositor for the Desert Sun, a daily newspaper owned by Gannett in Palm Springs, California. The DS was using XPress 4.04 on OS9 PowerMacs (not G3s or G4s then) at the time.

In 2012, I transferred out to the Indio, California branch and was using XPress 4.11 on a 450mhz G4/PCI, still under OS9.

It was that job that had me mercilessly force myself to learn every keyboard command I could.

P.S., Matthias, there used to be a splash screen thread around here that I started way back when. Can't find it, so I assume it went bye-bye when we lost that year and a half of posts a few years back.
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001
eyoungren

Postby max.peter » 23 Jul 2014, 00:03

I still have the original handbook of 3.3 version, printed in Romanian! I guess it's a rare item now. :D
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby UtahLlama » 23 Jul 2014, 16:50

eyoungren wrote:And seriously? You'd really want an OS X version of QuarkXPress 4.x? No dropshadows, no PDF import no PDF export, no PSD import, no AI import, no font embedding when exporting EPS, no transparency, no compatibility with Suitcase X1, let alone Fusion, Fusion 2, 3, 4 and 5. You really want to go back to the era of doing all your artwork inside Photoshop and then importing, going back and forth between the two apps to tweak your layout? XPress 10 so far doesn't even offer stroked text! It's still text to box!

There were Apps for that before the word App or Higgs Boson :D they were known as XT
no dropshadows; Shadowcaster… noPDFimport or Export; PDF Filter (free XT from Quark v1.6 worked** with Quark4.04 (but not if you only had a 68k version)
**worked being used in the loose sense that you could import and export pdfs as long as you weren't too fussed about them matching. but then things didn't really improve till v8, and probably got worse when JAWS was introduced.
no font embedding when exporting EPS;can't remember but surely Creo had an XT… no transparency;give you that one ;) no SuitcaseX1 etc:Suitcase10 worked fine and as a bonus :lol: the XT worked properly too.

Going back and forth between apps; Today I spent a couple of hours creating a cutter then pulling a pdf apart with pitstop to create bleed and remove trim marks editing text back and forth with InDesign Illustrator and Pitstop, really same old of rubbish just different apps :evil:
UtahLlama

Next

Return to Sofa Threads