Reordering forums

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.

Reordering forums

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 30 Sep 2014, 12:12

Hi all,

in the light of "end of sale" of QuarkXPress 9 (not "end of life", see here: http://forums.quark.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26415) we have started to reorganize the forums a bit.

Let us know whether you'd like to see an additional forum or where you see optimization needs

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Reordering forums

Postby UtahLlama » 02 Oct 2014, 14:26

Hi Matthias,
I'm sure you are aware that re-ordering the quark forums has in the past left some long time posters very upset :cry:
please please don't lose stuff during the reorganisation, by all means find a new home, move stuff to legacy forums or even spend some time going through the posts and sort it on version number.

I've just re-visited the last page of the original pdf forums and the stuff by "Anonymous" should be treasured :D
(Anonymous if you are reading, I consider you to be Red Haired Shanks to my Luffy Avatar :D )

ps what happened to the posts in the old Transparency forum?
UtahLlama

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 03 Oct 2014, 05:14

Hi UtahLlama,

we have been reordering posts and forums the last years, you probably didn't notice. That is even done on a daily basis, when users post in forums where the topic doesn't match.

You are right, we should be careful that we do not loose posts, which happened many years ago with a previous forums software and where somebody forgot to create a backup. These things often teach you something and we have learned that lesson, having a backup available all the time.

The Transparency posts (not even a hundred) went into the new Output forum. This will also get all posts from "Printing" (already done) and from "PDF" (in progress).

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby eyoungren » 20 Oct 2014, 17:20

Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:You are right, we should be careful that we do not loose posts, which happened many years ago with a previous forums software and where somebody forgot to create a backup. These things often teach you something and we have learned that lesson, having a backup available all the time.

Thanks
Matthias

I was there when that happened…all I got to say on that this time. :lol:
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001
eyoungren

Postby shaharaperil » 22 Oct 2014, 15:39

eyoungren wrote: I was there when that happened…all I got to say on that this time. :lol:

If I was here, I don't remember it. But then, these days, I think my memories all have a 30-day life expectancy. :lol:
shaharaperil

Postby eyoungren » 24 Oct 2014, 17:03

shaharaperil wrote:
eyoungren wrote: I was there when that happened…all I got to say on that this time. :lol:

If I was here, I don't remember it. But then, these days, I think my memories all have a 30-day life expectancy. :lol:

Well…

The first forums were on AOL. I wasn't around then. I registered in early 2001 when they were using some strange forum software. They kept using that until about late 2002 or so when they launched XPress 5. Then the forums melted down. It got so bad that people were registering as multiple individuals just to trash XPress 5. So, Quark cut off the forums.

The third version was around March 2004. I joined back in May 2004 because I was always checking back to see if they had put the forums back up. The third version was phpBB 2. Now, sometime around 2007 there was a crash. By the time they got it all sorted out and back up there was an entire week of posts/threads missing. But the transition that caused the most vitriol was from phpBB 2 to the commercial software they were running earlier.

That was June 2008. Safari wouldn't work right with the software, the cache was slow to update and various other problems. Everyone registered then lost about 1000-1500 posts off their total post count. My own post count should be north of 7000 but…it doesn't reflect that now. Quark moved to that software because of security (we had a lot of spammers coming in). I understood that, but it was still a rough transition. The two people involved still have the scars to show for it.

So, now we have this version and the lessons of the past have been learned. This was a much easier transition, although I had a good, quiet laugh to myself to find out we'd gone back to phpBB. :lol:
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001
eyoungren

Return to Sofa Threads