Quark Xpress not used that much anymore?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.

Postby remote » 02 Jul 2013, 00:40

While you can correct those small issues in the PDF as well, common procedure is that the printer will call the designer, who will fix the error, produce a single page pdf and have the printer replace it.

The last time we had a printer make a call himself and shuffle around some pages in the pdf without prior notice, because he "assumed" to have spotted an overflow error, we had to dump 10.000 books.

The printers job is to take what he receives and perfectly reproduce it on paper. That is not to say a good printer does not look, see and think - a good printer will spot errors and if need be halt production when possible - but any changes to the content are changes the designer/client must provide.

... and to the original question: during my time at university (not so long ago) I have sadly not met a single design student that used QXP.
remote

Postby omegaman » 02 Jul 2013, 15:49

The onus is on the creator to produce a file that is correct to the clients approval. In eight years of supplying PDF's to printers I have had nothing printed with an error that was related to typo on my part. Clients always approved the same pdf that's submitted to the printer they checkthey approve itand its forwarded to the printer. Great care must be taken by both parties to make sure the PDF is accurate before being submitted. Fixing a mistake in the original file and resubmitting the PDF from your end is much safer then letting a printer handle such things. Producing a PDF to suit a particular RIP is not a problem if the printer supplies their preferred Distiller options.

Not to belittle your circumstances, but there must be large printing companies in your locale that will only accept PDF's? Anyway sending native files is still a dead issue in my neck of the woods as far as every printer I deal with is concerned - they have all the necessary software to fully manipulate, impose and proof a PDF for any issues that may occur even the major Newspapers I send ads to will only accept PDF's through their online systems.
omegaman

Postby eyoungren » 03 Jul 2013, 06:16

The last time I had a printer checking our native files we had issues. This was back in the OS9 days with XPress 4.11. We collected for output and sent our files on zip disk. We always had font issues. We had to visit the printer to sort it out and the solution was sending PDFs.
The problem was that the printer was using ATM Deluxe. We used Suitcase 8/9. ATM Deluxe was a POS. We also used it, but only for font smoothing. The problem with the app was that if you had a new job that used fonts with similar names ATM Deluxe would default to the PREVIOUS font set with the same name.
For example. If job A used Futura and then job B used Futura, ATM Deluxe would load the Futura that was used with job A and not the Futura that was used with job B.
On top of that, one of our fonts was crashing the Mac of the pre-press person. The culprit was ATM Deluxe and some corruption in one of our documents that kept carrying over.
I don't need our printer deciding for us. Proofing is on us and only us and the printer should just print the job. Yes, it's great if they spot typos, but that's not their job to do so.
eyoungren

Postby omegaman » 04 Jul 2013, 12:48

eyoungren wrote:The last time I had a printer checking our native files we had issues. This was back in the OS9 days with XPress 4.11. We collected for output and sent our files on zip disk. We always had font issues. We had to visit the printer to sort it out and the solution was sending PDFs.
The problem was that the printer was using ATM Deluxe. We used Suitcase 8/9. ATM Deluxe was a POS. We also used it, but only for font smoothing. The problem with the app was that if you had a new job that used fonts with similar names ATM Deluxe would default to the PREVIOUS font set with the same name.
For example. If job A used Futura and then job B used Futura, ATM Deluxe would load the Futura that was used with job A and not the Futura that was used with job B.
On top of that, one of our fonts was crashing the Mac of the pre-press person. The culprit was ATM Deluxe and some corruption in one of our documents that kept carrying over.
I don't need our printer deciding for us. Proofing is on us and only us and the printer should just print the job. Yes, it's great if they spot typos, but that's not their job to do so.

Yep. I remember those days. Sheer frustration, gnashing of teeth and a few choice words! Lot's of blame back and forth when the job went sour.
Not anymore.
omegaman

Postby MikeWenzloff » 04 Jul 2013, 18:10

When I began, it was postscript files loaded onto SyQuest drives to take to the service bureau. Once PDF came into a stable means of sending the files, I have used them since.
Though I didn't have issues, I am pretty glad those days are behind me. Computers are faster, software more capable in most regards.
MikeWenzloff

Postby omegaman » 04 Jul 2013, 18:23

We had an old Linotronic imagesetter at the agency I worked for. We used it produce full page black and white press ads. That was a real pain, especially if you had a car ad with lots of clipping paths. The thing would always barf out until you found out what was causing the problem, usually one of the images, but sometimes not.
If your deadline was 3pm in the afternoon than you'd have to start processing through the rip by lunchtime! Often as not we would have someone from the Newspaper cooling their heels at reception waiting for the Ad.
omegaman

Postby shaun » 04 Jul 2013, 23:08

eyoungren wrote:

Ever since the days of hand-set type I've checked everything, especially spelling. Proof-reading and error-spotting were (and still are) considered part of the printer's job.
The machines and software may be faster and more efficient, but people still make errors ...
shaun

Postby eyoungren » 05 Jul 2013, 08:42

omegaman wrote:Yep. I remember those days. Sheer frustration, gnashing of teeth and a few choice words! Lot's of blame back and forth when the job went sour.
Not anymore.

When I was working at the Arizona Capitol Times we had a bunch of oversized postcards dropped off for insertion in to our papers. Large box full of these things. National advertiser, full color, professionally done and it looked great. EVERY font on the card, front and back, however, had defaulted to Courier!
I have no idea how that job ever left the printer in that condition!
eyoungren

Postby eyoungren » 05 Jul 2013, 08:48

shaun wrote:Ever since the days of hand-set type I've checked everything, especially spelling. Proof-reading and error-spotting were (and still are) considered part of the printer's job.
The machines and software may be faster and more efficient, but people still make errors ...

Yep, totally agree there. One of my jobs when we started sending PDFs was to check the PDF of each editorial page once it was distilled. That was our last line of defense.
The printer we used in that job is actually the printer we are using now (and will be sending our weekly papers to in two weeks) and the guy I dealt with in 2000-2003 is the SAME guy I'm dealing with now. For some reason, that made my boss feel so much better when he found out![:D]
But I check each PDF myself before sending over. I check for correct separations, blown out fonts, correct headers, etc. So far I've caught editorial on their headers a few times already. [:D]
eyoungren

Previous

Return to Sofa Threads