‘El Crapitan’: The biggest problems plaguing early upgr

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.

‘El Crapitan’: The biggest problems plaguing early upgr

Postby omegaman » 23 Oct 2015, 17:14

27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.5 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9 and 2015 / Affinity Designer / Affinity Photo / Acorn / Pinegrow Web Designer
http://www.e-assistance.com.au
omegaman

Re: ‘El Crapitan’: The biggest problems plaguing early upgr

Postby shaun » 24 Oct 2015, 06:53

The simple answer is "never upgrade until the upgrade's been out a while"; i.e. when the complaints have subsided or maybe till the next upgrade appears with its usual bells and whistles.

I don't know about you lot, but I am getting tired of Apple's continual production of OS variations. Every now and again they produce a really good OS - if you remember PowerMacs, then OS 8.6 was far better than anything that went before, and for the OSX PowerMac, Tiger was the best version they produced; other people swear by SnowLeopard for the Intel Macs, or Mountain Lion. Since which there was Mavericks (no comment) and Yosemite, this latter seeming to me to be a reasonably decent piece of work. But they keep tinkering and putting bits in that are more suited to mobile devices than to a traditional desktop. Once upon a time you could load the system yourself from a DVD, select the bits you wanted (or deselect the bits you'd never use); now you download masses of Gb including things you might never glance at, let alone actually open.

So I'll keep Yosemite on my iMac, thankyou Apple.

Beg pardon for grumbling here, Matthias, but there are times you feel like screaming at THEM, and they just don't listen!
shaun

Postby max.peter » 24 Oct 2015, 12:45

Unfortunately, Microsoft seems to "copy" this behaviour in their Windows 10 OS. Passing to a new paradigm (software as a service), MS had told to their users and to media that no info will be published regarding their upgrades.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby shaun » 24 Oct 2015, 14:35

<grumble>Slightly OT ... Microsoft also allow users only one copy of Office unless you join their Cloud. You want Word on your desktop and laptop? OK, then you buy TWO copies of Office.</grumble>
shaun

Postby ChrisPan » 03 Dec 2015, 15:12

My girlfriend and I share a 2013 MacBook Air and have had almost zero issues, occasionally we have to reconnect to our wifi (may just be an issue with our crappy router) but overall we've been having a good experience with it.
ChrisPan

Return to Sofa Threads