QuarkXPress 8 to QuarkXPress 9 upgrade pricing is UNFAIR

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.

Postby eyoungren » 11 Jan 2012, 11:19

Email Matthias. He can probably help you.

Postby drandel » 26 Jun 2013, 09:10

[b]Two days ago I wrote the letter below to Quark. No way they'll change, though.
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-priority:99;mso-style-qformat:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}Whoever receives this email, would you please forward it to theQuark senior management team: Ray Schiavone President and CEO, Kevin Mammel CFO, Mark Benfer Senior Vice President of Sales, Dave White ChiefTechnology Officer, Gavin Drake Vice President of Marketing, Shaun Barriball- Vice President of Mobile Products.On June 19, 2013, Gavin Drake wrote, From 1st July 2013, QuarkSoftware will only support upgrading from one previous version of QuarkXPressto the current version.Good luck with that with your customers. Well be leavingthe fold. Holding your customers hostage to upgrade to every new release (otherwisetheyre punished when they DO upgrade) generally doesnt work in todayssoftware market, or in our culture, for that matter. Seriously, who came up with this amazing customer retention program???Do we have a choice? Yes! Wed rather go with theAdobe subscription model than what you are forcing on your customers. Atleast with the subscription model, we get everything thatAdobe has to offer (which is way more than what Quark has tooffer), and were automatically kept current. No gun to our headevery year, or as often as Quark decides to release new versions. I suspect this change will be a PR disaster for Quark.Remember these? 1. Cokehad their customer relations worst nightmare moment in the spotlight (orheadlights) in 1985 when they changed the Coke formula and gave the worldNew Coke. 2. Therewas Microsofts Windows Vista. And dj vu, fast forward to todaysWindows 8.0 reboot with 8.1. 3. Thenthere was PepsiCos introduction of Pepsi Blue (something that resembledWindex in look and taste). 4. Netflixthought it was a good idea in 2011 to split DVD rentalsand streaming services. The move caused a fury among its customers, andCEO Reed Hastings scrambled to repair the damage. In a letter tosubscribers, he simply said, "I messed up. I owe everyone anexplanation." His mea culpa appeared to come up short, with Netflixannouncing in October of that year that the company had lost 800,000subscribers and saw stock prices tumble from an all-time high of nearly $300 ashare in July to just $75 in October.But hey, what do I know? Im just one user. Its afree country, and youre free to do whatever you want with your product. Best of luck. Youre going to need it.(signed)

Return to Sofa Threads