World Cup 2014

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.

Re: World Cup 2014

Postby Glenn McDowall » 27 Jun 2014, 16:42

Hi Jean Marie
Gordon Strachan last night said about Belgium, and I agree, he hasn't seen anything amazing or stand-out yet from them but they are a very solid outfit, well organized and it's going to take a very good team to beat them.
Having seen most of them every week in the English Premier League, they certainly have the individual talent, if they can play as a team and get the work-rate of Chile you may not waste your golden generation.

I'm still betting on Argentina to lift the trophy, but will mostly supporting other teams :D
Glenn McDowall

Postby Jean-Marie Schwartz » 30 Jun 2014, 04:44

I totally agree! Though as others say only the final score counts :) This said, I've been deceived by several final scores, the last one being Holland-Mexico ;) The hardest thing to accept in sport is that the results just don't reflect the match most of the time. I have a dream that the teams that deserve it win it 8-)
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =
Jean-Marie Schwartz

Postby Jean-Marie Schwartz » 02 Jul 2014, 05:11

And there we are! 8 teams remaining now. But what a thriller in almost all of the Round-of-16 matches! :oops:
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =
Jean-Marie Schwartz

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 02 Jul 2014, 05:40

Tell me about it ;)

Cheers
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Glenn McDowall » 03 Jul 2014, 03:38

:D Wow matches have been excellent end-to-end stuff, especially the Germany-Algeria and Belgium-USA. I think the days of European and South American teams getting easy matches against the other continents is over.

I think all of the last 16 (possibly not Greece) would probably have beaten England, we are going to have to improve a huge amount to catch up.
Glenn McDowall

Postby Glenn McDowall » 17 Jul 2014, 16:57

Time to wrap the thread, Matthais and I predicted the finalists back in the first two threads, Jean-Marie's Belgium did well, England were once again pathetic, Paul the octopus, had he been still alive, would have had just enough tentacles to predict the 7-1 Gemany Brazil thrashing. Overall was it the best World cup ever? maybe Matthias thinks so, I certainly enjoyed many of the matches.
As for the new technology, I won't be adopting the goal-line cameras but maybe have to take a can of shaving foam to the park :lol:

I have no idea how FIFA came up with Messi as player of the tournament? for me Robben was the standout performer with James* *Rodriguez, Neuer and Costa Rica's Kaylor Navas possibly up there too.

Anyway maybe in four years time we'll get an Ameriacn posting, what will it take for any of you to take an interest in Soccer? ;)

*In addition to the shaving foam I can also wind-up my son down the park by pronouncing his middle name Ham-Ez :D :D :D
Glenn McDowall

Previous

Return to Sofa Threads