Several suggestions

Want to improve the Quark XPerience? Drop your suggestion(s) here, including feature wishes for future versions of QuarkXPress.

Several suggestions

Postby Pedrober » 23 Nov 2017, 17:43

I am a very happy new QXP user but, anyhow, I have some suggestions for the next QuarkXpress version:
-- Story Editor: it’s necessary to be able to customize font and appearance. It’s a very useful feature and the current font is too small for my eyes (in a 1980x1200 screen). A “dark” mode would be very comfortable (black background).
-- Footnotes export: it’s very painful to collect all the footnotes to include them in an exported Word or XTG file.
-- Hyphenation/Spelling: please include Hunspell support for hyphenation and dictionaries. I mainly work with texts in Portuguese, Spanish and Galician language. This last language is supported by OS X and many programs using Hunspell for hyphenation and spelling.
-- "Moving insertion point" shortcuts: I would like to use standard OS X shortcuts to move insertion point across the documents. Anyhow, long time users could be shocked (I suppose).
-- PDF import: it's possible to improve your very useful PDF import feature to be able to import complete documents.
-- "In line" tables: I would like to be able to modify the width of a column without editing the original file in Excel.
I'll continue to study QXP and I am sure I'll have other suggestions.
Pedrober

Re: Several suggestions

Postby Jiri Melnicky » 23 Nov 2017, 21:25

PDF import: it's possible to improve your very useful PDF import feature to be able to import complete documents.
At a low price, you can buy Pdf importer XTension from Creationauts.

You say you are a happy QXD user. What software did you use to work before you purchased QuarkXPress?
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win8, QXP3.1–QXP2016
Jiri Melnicky

Postby Pedrober » 24 Nov 2017, 04:14

I have been a loyal Ventura user for many many years. My experiences with other similar software (InDesign or prosumer alternatives) were always disappointing in terms of usability and productivity. For the first time, I'm feeling at ease with a DTP software (Ventura is too old to support OpenType and it's necessary to run it via Parallels). Long life to QXP!
Pedrober

Postby Jiri Melnicky » 24 Nov 2017, 13:02

So welcome to the Quark family. It's very good software, unfortunately I'm still waiting in vain for a number of features that are commonplace for competitors. I'm beginning to think about moving to InDesign, even though I hate it. Colleagues have been working on Indesign CS6 for many years. I estimate colleagues would welcome about 5 QXP features that InDesign lacks (even in version CC2018), but I would like to have around 30 completely normal functions of Indesign CS6, which Quark still does not have! In QuarkXPress, I work very quickly and efficiently, but then I get stuck in total triviality and I'm here for laughter.
Here in the forum you will get very quick help in case of trouble, but do not expect someone to respond to your comments on software improvements. Try signing in to a facebook group - maybe there is QuarkXPress 2018 wishlist.
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win8, QXP3.1–QXP2016
Jiri Melnicky

Postby Pedrober » 27 Nov 2017, 16:31

Every time I had to use InDesign, it was a torture. I don't recommend that route. QXP is OK for my needs, but having to sign in a Facebook group is too much for me...
Pedrober

Postby Jiri Melnicky » 27 Nov 2017, 18:15

Torture is, I agree. Basic control is much better devised in Quark - especially for beginners. Unfortunately, I'm working on a Windows version and I can not set up keyboard shortcuts. In Indesign, most features can be applied to multiple objects at a time. Quark has many features that can only be applied to one object. These features do not have their abbreviations and need to constantly visit the menu. 20x opening the same menu is a nightmare. This is not the only thing that does not work in windows. I do not know why Mac users are constantly being preferred. It would be great if Quark developers were able to get this "convenience", preferably in version 2018. Our employer is willing to pay Adobe CC if our work is more efficient. If I do not expect a significant improvement in 2018, I will have to give QuarkXPress after 24 years of goodbye, I'm so sorry.
Jiri Melnicky

Return to Suggestion Box