Select working Volume for XenonCache

Want to improve the Quark XPerience? Drop your suggestion(s) here, including feature wishes for future versions of QuarkXPress.

Select working Volume for XenonCache

Postby mac_nick » 08 May 2015, 02:11

It would be great if I could select the working volume for xenon cache in preferences. All major programs let you select a working volume. It would be great to have the cache on a raid volume or any external volume. The boot volume where the applications folder and QuarkXPress is located, does not get filled up so fas,t especially when it is a small PCIe drive where every MB counts. Or if you are on the road with any mobile mac equipped with a smaller drive. You can put the cache on a external device an don't care about the size of the cache.
mac_nick

Re: Select working Volume for XenonCache

Postby mac_nick » 28 May 2015, 13:32

I reply to my own post. Today I cleaned my 2015 xenon cache of the last two weeks: more than 60 GB!
mac_nick

Postby AndAnAs » 02 Jun 2015, 12:49

oh my god!
it should not take so much volume!
and it should be cleared automatically!
if my ssd hdd 128 gb formed such cache, armageddon will happen ((
AndAnAs

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 29 Mar 2016, 08:28

Just as an FYI, as we are changing the strategy in QuarkXPress 2016:

QuarkXPress 10/2015
  • QuarkXPress runs a cache cleaner every 2 weeks and automatically deletes cache files older than 90 days.
  • You can always run the Cache Cleaner manually (it's in the QuarkXPress folder under Tools).

QuarkXPress 2016
In QuarkXPress 2016 we have implemented a different caching strategy. Cache creation and updates are now done by completely different threads, meaning it is fast enough to create each time.

So QuarkXPress 2016 will do the following:
  1. Clear the document specific cache when a document is closed
  2. Clear the complete cache on every launch

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Studiokey » 06 Apr 2017, 03:54

Hi Matthias, thanks for your explanation.
Unfortunately the cache folder size represents a serious issue for my workflow: when I open a catalogue full of images, my SSD gets completely filled up and I cannot save anything else! Is there a way to set a cache size limit? I am also concerned about the lifespan of my SSD: wouldn't it be affected by so many writing/deleting cicles?
Studiokey

Return to Suggestion Box