Fill Frame Proportionally

Want to improve the Quark XPerience? Drop your suggestion(s) here, including feature wishes for future versions of QuarkXPress.

Re: Fill Frame Proportionally

Postby ben nevis » 29 Aug 2015, 14:52

I have finally located a script which does what I want. It was posted in March 2011 by 'Jean-Marie Schwartz' and amended by 'eye'.
See: Fit the image to the box script-help
<http://forums.quark.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18817&start=10&hilit=proportionally>

I'm not sure why Jean-Marie suggested pressing four keys simultaneously etc when the earlier script works perfectly.

However, it shouldn't be necessary to load (hard to find!) scripts into Quark.

The best option would be to offer four extra FITTING icons in Quark's 'Picture Box' toolbar.
See attached.
Fitting.jpg
Fitting.jpg (44.01 KiB) Viewed 3886 times

These are the four main fitting options (without altering the picture box itself).
It would make life so much easier.
ben nevis

Postby AndAnAs » 30 Aug 2015, 01:04

Mentioned placement commands of the image — excellent help for the designer! Often there is no Fill Proportionally command (I work in Windows and I can't use a script).
Besides, script or menu commands (as Style> Center Picture; Stretch Picture to fit box; Scale Picture to box) need to be applied manually after each change of design.

I have an offer to developers.
Matthias and other employees of Quark!
And let's make these commands part of property of boxing? Or object style?
That every time at change of the amount of boxing the image itself fitted into the box according to the chosen option.
It will help automation and the speed of imposition.

And it is simple to realize it.
What do you think about it?
AndAnAs

Postby ben nevis » 30 Aug 2015, 08:05

Yes, AndAnAs it would be great if when an image is imported to a picture box it is automatically fitted in a user selected way. If it retained this fitting style (by user preference) even when the box itself is amended, that would be brilliant. It would save so much time.

Of course ID has the first option already with its 'Frame Fitting Options' panel...

I have to say that using the name 'Style' for the fitting options, as in Quark's current menu choices, is not very intuitive. I associate Style more with 'Character' and 'Paragraph' settings.
ben nevis

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 27 Jul 2016, 01:09

Hi,

This is due to the proportional lock is enabled in the measurement palette.

Kindly unlock the proportional lock and apply the 'Stretch Picture to Box'.

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby ben nevis » 07 Aug 2016, 19:04

Unless I have misunderstood you, A. Palaniappan, your suggestion does not give the fill option I am looking for. I do NOT want to stretch an image in one direction to make it fit because this distorts the proportions of the image. Distorting a photo can rarely be an acceptable option. I want the image to fill a fixed size of frame while retaining its proportions. Obviously if the frame is to be filled proportionally then not all of the image (red dash) will be visible in one or other direction as shown in the sketch below.
Fill proportionally.jpg
Fill proportionally.jpg (24.44 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
ben nevis

Previous

Return to Suggestion Box