Import footnotes as text

Want to improve the Quark XPerience? Drop your suggestion(s) here, including feature wishes for future versions of QuarkXPress.

Import footnotes as text

Postby geirrosset » 21 Aug 2015, 08:55

Why is there no legacy option for handling footnotes (in other words as plain text)? I do the layout for several long running academic journals, and using QXP2015 it is impossible to get the footnotes laid out identical to the journals as they have been done in QXP 9 and 10. This should just be a check box. They way it is in 2015 (11) one cannot do experimental layouts (or do things exactly like previously) because footnote placement is restricted to the bottom of the main text chain. I now have to use QXP 9/10 to import all documents for said journals and then bring the text into 11. This works now, but is cumbersome, but what about when 9 and 10 stop working in new versions of OS X? 9 already cannot be installed on new Macs because Quark refuses to spend the time fixing the installer (they have made it clear that 9 is not supported on Yosemite, but that is a far cry from not letting people reinstall it. It obviously works just fine if you can find a way to get the latest version onto your Mac which would be nice to be able to do without jumping through a bunch of hoops).

Geir Røsset
Oslo
Norway
geirrosset

Re: Import footnotes as text

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 22 Aug 2015, 05:35

Hi geirosset,

Many customers had been requesting for the support for importing footnotes from Word documents. With the addition of the footnote styles feature in QXP 2015, we were able to provide the support for footnote import from word documents. Currently, there is no provision in the application to turn off footnote import while importing word documents or to convert to plain style as being requested by you. In previous QXP versions, since footnotes were not supported during word import, hence they would get import as normal text.

I feel you want the provision to layout footnotes beneath the body text and not at bottom of the page (the way it is currently implemented in QXP 2015 application). We have a enhancement logged for this and it will be reviewed while planning for future releases.

Currently, I can suggest a workaround for you. You need to open the word document in word application and convert all the footnotes to endnotes. Later if you import the the word document with endnotes in QXP 2015, they will be placed just beneath the text.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Return to Suggestion Box