Font names

Want to improve the Quark XPerience? Drop your suggestion(s) here, including feature wishes for future versions of QuarkXPress.

Font names

Postby PetarMakedonecot » 01 Feb 2016, 14:20

I add "MK" prefix to all fonts disk names that have support for Macedonian language (like: "MK Arial.ttf") to distinguish them from the others. But, it doesn't help me too much because this can not be seen in Quark's (or any other DTP app) font dialogue (Style > Fonts, Measurement palette, Glyphs).
So, my question is -- is it possible to add into "Preferences > Application > Fonts" an option to choose which font names to be shawn in all font dialogs -- disk or vendor? It can be useful also for other users to group their fonts by specific attributes. For example: "body text Minion Pro.otf", "headline Impact.otf"...
Petar Petrenko
Typesetter - Graphic Designer - Photographer - DTP Trainer
Skopje, Makedonija
PetarMakedonecot

Re: Font names

Postby Johannes » 23 Feb 2016, 04:33

Hi Petar,
renaming fonts isn’t just changing the disk names.
Fonts do have several names: they have a name, a family name, a PostScript name, a complete name, a menu name, a FOND name, an OT font family name, an OT style name and a Mac name. (Did I forgot one?)
Which one is displayed by QXP? Is ist the name or the family name plus the style or the Mac name or some other name? They can all be different or the same.
So: For changing the font name you have to use a font creating software.
Regards,
Johannes
Johannes

Postby PetarMakedonecot » 23 Feb 2016, 15:21

I wasn't clear, obviously. I would like Quark to offer user to choose between two font names to display in font lists:
1. The names they already show;
2. The disk names of the fonts.
Petar Petrenko
Skopje, Makedonija
PetarMakedonecot

Postby Johannes » 24 Feb 2016, 03:49

Hi Petar,
yes, font naming is a difficult thing.
I don’t think displaying the disk name would be a good idea, since these names are often not human-readable (cf. MinionPro-SemiboldCnItCapt.otf) or not clear enough (cf. BerliNovTexBolIta.otf for Berling Nova Text Bold Italic or GoudyStd.otf for Goudy Old Style [Regular]).
But there is some inexpensive font creating software, maybe you have a look at fontlab.com or at glyphsapp.com

Regards,
Johannes
Johannes

Postby PetarMakedonecot » 24 Feb 2016, 07:43

Not human-readable??? :lol:
Just leave that to me. It is not a problem for me to decipher it.
Petar Petrenko
Skopje, Makedonija
PetarMakedonecot

Return to Suggestion Box