Quark 6 and Quark 8 .... NOT the same colour !

Discuss QuarkXPress color management functionality including DeviceN workflows

Postby 967stuart » 30 Jun 2011, 00:31

Had a customer send me a quark document (with all the logos etc collected).

Bit of background -

Original file was set in Quark 6
Logos were set in Freehand.
the whole job is supposed to be Reflex Blue C (note the "C")

Now, the issue Im having is that when I have output the job in quark 8 the logos have vanished (no errors etc..... just don't print out).

When I re-import the logos a new Reflex Blue appears as - Reflex Blue CVC (new suffix of CVC) , and when I print this out and then get 2 plates indicating the problem (customer has set in 2 different colours effectively).

BUT !!

When I open the file in an old version of Quark6 i have it only reads the colour as Reflex Blue C ! , and prints out the job no problem.

So quark 6 seems incapable of distigushing between Reflex Blue C and Reflex Blue CVC ..... but Quark 8 does !
967stuart

Postby rcantin » 04 Jul 2011, 04:43

967stuart wrote:So quark 6 seems incapable of distigushing between Reflex Blue C and Reflex Blue CVC ..... but Quark 8 does !
From time to time Pantone edit their libraries and release new ones.Just a guess but maybe CVC colors appears after the release of QuarkXPress 6...
rcantin

Postby Glenn McDowall » 13 Sep 2011, 02:37

CVC predates Quark6. I sometimes wondered whether Freehand named their Pantones as away of distiguishing them from Illustrator. With quark 3 CVC would appear as a Separate colour to C, and you'd have to edit the EPS with Freehand (change the colour name at source). I can't remember which version of Quark (4 or 5) started to auto map CVC or CVU to just C but whilst this would Separate out correctly to one plate from Quark as soon as you export as a composite file all the C and CVC split out again.
Which version of quark8 is allowing you to see the CVC filename in the Color Pallette? It's one of my [i]why don't you fix this
requests to quark to allow you to use a custom Pantone from an EPS.
Glenn McDowall

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Color management