How to Convert a Print Layout to ePub in QuarkXPress 2015

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015 & 2016 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.

How to Convert a Print Layout to ePub in QuarkXPress 2015

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 15 Sep 2015, 23:57

A lot of people have asked about the best way to re-use an existing Print document to ePub Layout in QuarkXPress to create eBooks in ePub and Kindle HTML format.

This post provides the steps to achieve this with the least amount of effort. If you have questions please post them here.

Video Lesson:
English: http://youtu.be/NfOs2a3i7nQ
German: http://youtu.be/KKfAZ8sndvI

Print to eBook Conversion Process:

1. Print to Fixed ePub:
a. Open the source Print Document.
b. Change Rulers / Measurement Units to “Points”.
c. Note Width and Height.
d. Create a new “Project” with “ePub” layouts with the same Width and Height.
e. Go to Source file.
f. Utilities -> Cloner -> Pages=”All” -> Choose the new layout created above. Click OK. (This may take a long time).
g. Save the New Layout.
h. Now we need to find Boxes with Text Overflow and resize / adjust boxes to remove overflow. This is how:
i. Utilities -> Line Check -> Search Criteria -> Only select “Text Box Overflow”. Ok.
j. Utilities -> Next Line (Continue till you find boxes with overflow).
k. Export as ePub (Fixed). You may change export options to test.
l. Compare the output with the layout. Everything should match.

2. Print to Reflow ePub
a. Open the source Print (or Fixed Layout ePub) Document.
b. Layout -> Add Pages to Reflow.
c. Preferably choose “One Article Per Story” for ease.
d. Open “Reflow Tagging Palette”.
e. Rearrange Components to make a “logical” order for the book.
f. Change "Style Sheet Mapping" from "Reflow Tagging Palette". (Click the Paragraph button)
g. Export as ePub (Reflow).
h. Compare All Content / Graphics and Order with what we set in “Reflow Tagging Palette”.
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: How to Convert a Print Layout to ePub in QuarkXPress 201

Postby chrisoshea » 08 Sep 2016, 06:58

I've converted a lot of print layouts to epub in QX9 over the years and have established an effective workflow for doing this, which works well. I'm completely baffled by QX2015 though.

The text in my print layouts use an automatic text box, so when I add pages to reflow in 2015, the entire book is one component in one article. This is much the same as it was in version 9.

However, in v9 I would then go through the book and split the components to create chapters and insert pictures at various points. I'd also create new articles so that new chapters always begin on a new page in the ebook.

I can't find any way to split a component in 2015, or to simply add selected text to a component, rather than the entire book.

Any help gratefully appreciated,

Chris
chrisoshea

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 08 Sep 2016, 08:41

Please insert the images as "Callouts" in the linked text. This will automatically split the text and callout image when exported as Reflow ePub. Let me know if that does not work.
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby chrisoshea » 08 Sep 2016, 08:49

Thanks for the reply Sarbit - but for this book I don't want to insert images. I just want to split the text component so that I can have a separate Article and text component for each chapter.
chrisoshea

Postby Ramesh Yella » 08 Sep 2016, 15:23

Hi Chris,
You can use Linkster (available under Utilities menu) to split the text components to have separate Articles per story. Before adding to reflow tagging, you can split story with Linkster and then use option "Add Page to Reflow..." which will automatically create multiple Articles per story. This is now default option which was not available in 9.x.
Alternately, after you split the stories with Linkster tool, you can manually add articles and components by selecting individual or multiple boxes.
You can insert images to Reflow tagging similar to 9.x, only difference is you can insert, crop images on print layout itself (either on page or pasteboard) then add to the reflow order. if you want to insert between the text flow of an Article, you can anchor a picture or use Callout anchor.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Ramesh
Buy at your favorite dealer – Or call us: http://goo.gl/olNirw – Or buy here: http://goo.gl/y8PbKO
Ramesh Yella
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby chrisoshea » 30 Sep 2016, 06:02

Hi Ramesh - sorry only just saw your reply now. Thanks for that tip - I'll give it a try.
chrisoshea

Return to eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks