Printing from QuarkXpress9 to PDF..Layout fine, PDF a mess

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Printing from QuarkXpress9 to PDF..Layout fine, PDF a mess

Postby senseiblackburn » 02 Jan 2018, 13:48

Hello. I recently purchased a business that had ancient computers that are about to die. I bought a new laptop and desktop with top of the line specs for graphics/design. I open my project in Quark just fine and make my changes/edits and everything looks good but when I print to pdf(to send to printer) everything goes outside the boxes and skews. This does not happen on the old machine. I have found on one file I just needed to re-import the graphics and it helped but then I start on the next one and everything is a mess. I have tried just about everything in the AdobePDF printer options, I have messed with virtual memory, I have tried exporting as a pdf from Quark..you name I have done it. I really need to get this resolved as I have 2 great computers that will speed up my work time considerably but they are useless if I can't get this issue whooped. Thank you to all for your help. I am using a new Windows 10 computer: Intel i7-7700(3.6), 16 G Ram, 125ssd and 2tb hd, 64bit, high end Nvidia card. I would attach pics but not sure how.
senseiblackburn

Re: Printing from QuarkXpress9 to PDF..Layout fine, PDF a me

Postby MikeWenzloff » 02 Jan 2018, 21:40

For the existing documents not exporting to PDF properly, what vintage are they?

You mention that basically rebuilding a document (reimporting the graphics/images) resolved it for that one document. Which makes me curious to at least see a screen shot on the wonky ones.

To attach an image, below the reply box you should see an Options box. The second tab is Upload attachment. Select it, then there is a button to choose a file, and another to add the file. There will be further options listed next to the file listing once uploaded.

I think only 3 screen shots can be added and the file size is ridiculously low. So sometimes uploading them to an image sharing site is better if the screen shots are too large.

Also, it may be worthwhile to prepare a publication and its resources by zipping them altogether. Seeing one of these may be the only means of helping, but let's start with screen shots.

Thank you, Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby senseiblackburn » 03 Jan 2018, 10:58

Mike,

Thank you for the fast response. I do not have the "Upload" option there...I wonder if it is because I just joined the forum?

As far as the vintage I am not totally sure I understand what you mean but I can say that the original projects were created in 6 and have been updated and working in 8 for several years. I am trying to use them in 9 and having this issue...again everything looks fine in the protect but goes awry once printed to pdf...or exported. I would love to find a way to upload the pics so you could see them.
senseiblackburn

Postby MikeWenzloff » 03 Jan 2018, 12:40

The upload thing could be tied to the user post count I suppose.

You may need to upload to a photo sharing site, dropbox.com or the like, in order to provide a viewing link.

RE, Vintage. Yes, I meant the version(s) of QXP that made the files originally. So thanks for reading between the lines!

I still have version 9 installed here on Windows 10 (up through the current version). I cannot recall ever having issues exporting to a pdf after opening projects that began clear back to version 3.x when using version 9.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby senseiblackburn » 03 Jan 2018, 15:25

Here is part of the layout I am using in Quark
https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Public/Layout.PNG?role=personal

And here is the result after pdf printing. Please keep in mind that I do this on a daily basis in Quark 8 with zero issues but using Quark9 on a new computer I get the following:
https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Public/LayoutSkew.PNG?role=personal

I cannot even begin to thank you for your efforts on my behalf!

Andy
senseiblackburn

Postby MikeWenzloff » 04 Jan 2018, 15:45

Hi Andy,

When I click on your dropbox links, I just get routed to my own dropbox.

After you upload the images, there should appear a Share button, and on the dialog that appears there will be a Create Link button. And after the link is created, you can opt to copy the link. Try that.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby MikeWenzloff » 04 Jan 2018, 17:19

Thanks.

So it more or less looks like this only occurs where the lines are drawn around the ads/info? The center column of just text appears fine from what I could tell.

How are the lines drawn on the outside columns? If you remove those, does the information in those areas also export properly? If you want to test that, save that as a new filename and remove the lines and try the export.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby senseiblackburn » 05 Jan 2018, 09:29

Mike interesting results. I first printed it as is and got the following results
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2zze5tbw9gxedn/1st%20Print.PNG?dl=0

Thank I moved the frames out of the project space and got the following results...which were better but there were still a couple of things (maybe more...I just did a quick once over) that were moved or skewed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2zze5tbw9gxedn/1st%20Print.PNG?dl=0

This is interesting and hints at moving in the right direction but the frames are an integral and necessary part of the publication.

Thank you again for the attention you are giving this issue!

Andy
senseiblackburn

Postby senseiblackburn » 05 Jan 2018, 09:30

Ugh...sorry I pasted the same link twice...here is the second (Without frames link)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nguu74c5o2zijbu/2nd%20Print%20no%20frames.PNG?dl=0
senseiblackburn

Next

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)