E-Pubs

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.
Flo

E-Pubs

Post by Flo » 19 Jul 2012, 10:50

I am using Quark 9.3 on Windows 7. I have a document in which all the components are in one article. I have not marked anything for a table of contents because I don't want one for this document. Nonetheless, a Contents link shows up in the epub as well as the mobi files. What do I need to tell it to get rid of the toc? Thanks.

Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

E-Pubs

Post by Sarbjit Singh » 19 Jul 2012, 19:58

ePub / Kindle format expects a Table of Contents. You may face issues with validation if you do not add a nav element.

Flo

E-Pubs

Post by Flo » 20 Jul 2012, 07:37

I see. I think. A children's picture book does not have (or need) a Table of Contents. I'm not sure what you mean by a nav element--are you saying there's no way around the ToC? It seems (though my memory may be playing tricks on me) that I was able to do this in the recent past.
Thanks so much for your reply. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

E-Pubs

Post by Sarbjit Singh » 25 Jul 2012, 00:47

You are right, QuarkXPress 9.2 did not create HTML ToC (ePub files can have two types of ToC files - NCX and HTML)
HTML ToC is new to QuarkXPress 9.3, as it is a required component for a "valid" ePub 3.0 document. In short, there is no way around ToC if you want a "valid" ePub. Here is a link if you want to know more about the "nav" elements:
http://idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-con ... -xhtml-nav

Flo

E-Pubs

Post by Flo » 25 Jul 2012, 07:24

Hmm, no good--for us. Is it possible, then, to make an invalid ePub using Quark? This is a major publishing barrier for us. So many of our kids' books are in Quark and it was so easy before just to convert them to ePub. But this is a serious game-changer. And I can't seem to save in HTML anymore, so the conversion is to PDF, then to Word and clean up, then to HTML, then to ePub via Calibre. Yikes!
Perhaps this can be addressed in an update?
Thank you so much for taking this time to work with me on this problem. I appreciate it.

Flo

E-Pubs

Post by Flo » 07 Aug 2012, 09:39

Just checking in to see if there's been anything further on this topic. I sure need to be able to create an epub of a picture book with no ToC.

Kidwelly

E-Pubs

Post by Kidwelly » 13 Oct 2012, 05:48

Hi - Did you get this resolved? I'm producing a kids comic book (100% images) and don't need a TOC. But the conversion process creates one anyway. Tried it in Indesign and lo and behold it has the option available.

Return to “eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks”