double spacing epub

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.
Beagle0217

double spacing epub

Post by Beagle0217 » 29 Feb 2012, 14:06

Can somebody tell me why my epubs have "SPACE AFTER" every carriage return?This happens whether the EPUB is made from an existing print document AND if the EPUB is made from "FILE-NEW-EPUB."The print document is not double-spaced betwixt paragraphs and there is NO "SPACE BEFORE" or "SPACE AFTER" in the paragraph formats. I am NOT adding Carriage returns in the reflow view either. I have CALIBRE and dreamweaver and have tried investigating style.CSS, horizontal style.CSS and vertical style.CSS all to no avail.I can't seem to get it to NOT have extra space between paragraphs.Can anyone tell me why this is happening and/or how to fix it.Thanks

Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

double spacing epub

Post by Sarbjit Singh » 29 Feb 2012, 18:46

The default CSS does not specify a margin. You can control the space before / after by adding this to the style.CSS file:
p {
margin-top: 5px;
margin-bottom: 0px;
}
You may change "5px" to a desired value. Let me know if this does not work.

Turtle Heart

double spacing epub

Post by Turtle Heart » 17 Mar 2012, 05:33

Best regardsIn an ebook I am working on I have pasted in some poetry at several pointsfrom a txt filewhen previewed these poems all have double spacing, which I do not want.I have read your reply above but do not understand it, I am new to QE.When I look at the settings I see no way to find or avid style.css fileunder style all options are greyed out, and I see nothing to enable creating a new or editing a default style....can you tell me more about this?best regardsTH

Turtle Heart

double spacing epub

Post by Turtle Heart » 18 Mar 2012, 05:49

Thanks for ignoring my question. Nice to know this is what to expect from Quark support. I guess I figured out on my own that the css style you are referring to can be accessed by an external editor, like colibri or oxygen.....is quite strange that it cannot be accessed directly in your program.

emarillo

double spacing epub

Post by emarillo » 12 Oct 2012, 00:54

Sarbjit Singh wrote:The default CSS does not specify a margin. You can control the space before / after by adding this to the style.CSS file:
p {
margin-top: 5px;
margin-bottom: 0px;
}
You may change "5px" to a desired value. Let me know if this does not work.
It works!

emarillo

double spacing epub

Post by emarillo » 12 Oct 2012, 03:49

No, it's not so easy. I've found out that adding a low value for the p tag (like 0.2em) results in removing all of the blank lines of the eBook. It seems to me that there's no way for inserting new line breaks after you've reduced the paragraph indent. One or more empty carriage returns are completely ignored...

Return to “eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks”