Output from 'book' to ePub in Quark 9.... do I really need t

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.
Tim Watt

Post by Tim Watt » 15 Aug 2011, 03:32

Hi I've been using Quark for over a decade - and I do like using it - so it's really sad to see such so many limitations and poor product design...
Anyway, I'm evaluating version 9, currently looking at ePub production, and, well disappointing as someone else said....
I followed instructions (big mistake) in producing a book in version 8, in using the 'book' feature to put it together so my book 'chapters' are in separate Quark files.
However, this 'book' feature actually served no positive purpose, other than synchronising stylesheets, but this is only a help if there were documents produced by different users as the same would be achieved by just having one file and one set of master files and stylesheets. You cannot, for instance, output to pdf for all the chapters together so did this in Acrobat instead - so big time waster but I did at least have control over the final (pdf) document.
So now, to produce a ePub document it seems I need to re-assemble everything in Quark - which is actually, well what a frustration!
You can insert blank pages but there's no way I can see to insert (or drag and drop) pages from one layout to another layout - even though everything is already synchronised so they all have the same properties!
'Select all' just selects one page at a time...
So there is no way I can see to do this without almost completely laying out the document page by page, chapter by chapter all over again...
Would it be better, indeed to forget about Quark 9 and find a way to output from pdf to ePub instead?
Thanks, Tim

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 15 Aug 2011, 04:52

Hi Tim,
to copy pages from one document to another you can either thumbnail drag them from document to document or - in version 9 - use Utilities > Cloner to copy them over.
Hope this helps!
Regards
Matthias

Tim Watt

Post by Tim Watt » 15 Aug 2011, 05:23

Thanks,I didn't know you could do that in thumbnails - or rather I read that from q8 it did from a previous Forum answer - BUT I assumed it was using PAge Layout thumbnails. I wasted ages trying to find out how but here is no help or guide anywhere, just that one mention....So a tip - PLEASE make such things explicit! Please put all guides and help advice ONLINE, and searchable by Google, and please make everything you do much more logical!...Just tried Cloner, but it seems you need to insert blank pages (or rather just need to guess right how many pages to insert first or else it just overwrites the current content). Thumbnails D&D does work so thanks again!).Another tip - it would help if there were better visibility of the content on offer so you can have a better visual cue that you're inserting in the right position.ie Please learn better UI - see Apple guidelines!Tim

Tim Watt

Post by Tim Watt » 15 Aug 2011, 06:29

Let's be clear here. There are many more issues with Quark's ePub output. Sigh....1. I've gone to the trouble of re-assmebling my Quark document (I'm not going to get those 4 hours back - thanks Quark) yet the (so called) Reflow view shows the content in the order I assembled it NOT the actual order - that I've spent the time to achieve!!!!!!! FF WHY????There seems no way to fix this - other than re-ordering all over again! The chapters are in order - why isn't the Reflow view??????2. The instruction videos online are misleading - the cover and backcover is NOT displayed as an image. The demo shown in the Gotomeeting seminar (why not online!!!!!) suggested using just an image so maybe that's tacit admission this feature doesn't work....Please can I have all these wasted hours back? Or kindly suggest a fix....Thanks, Tim

Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark)

Post by Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark) » 15 Aug 2011, 20:53

Hi Tim,
Please help me understand the problem you are facing.
> . This is intended behavior. Reflow view is designed in the order you tag the components in the article. It gives you the flexibility to actually add the content in the order you want it to appear.Dont you think as a user you should have that control?
Front Cover is always the image of your first page on the layout.
Thanks,
JB

Tim Watt

Post by Tim Watt » 15 Aug 2011, 22:57

The only way I found to get round the problem is to delete the so-called ReFlow view and start again from the normal view.Quite frankly your statement is absurd. There is no way that can possibly be intended behaviour as it is entirely illogical. By your logic you have only a one shot at tagging otherwise you might as well start from square one each time there's a substantial change - as I had to.It sounds like you're attempting to justify the unjustifiable rather than helping customers and making the product better.Thanks anyway JB. Now I know the only way you can do this is to edit a version of Quark Document especially for ePub, as any changes unique to the reflow version (apart from small ordering fiddles) are, by necessity, lost.

Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark)

Post by Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark) » 15 Aug 2011, 23:06

Hi Tim,>. Does substantial change mean complete design change or just content change? Could you please elaborate more about your scenario? Do you want to order components across the article?Thanks,JB

Tim Watt

Post by Tim Watt » 16 Aug 2011, 03:48

Let me put this in perspective once again!Quark to ePub does not work as advertised!!! It seems you can only export to eHub after totally reassembling this print file from scratch. I'm shocked by how p. poor this all is....You can "Add Pages to Reflow view" as an automated process that does some tagging but this seems to be entirely useless as, in addition to the one way process mentioned above, you cannot actually edit it by moving items form separate articles!So do you really need to manually add articles (whatever they are) one by one form the layout view?How come you cannot move items from one 'article' to another?What indeed is an article? Is it chapter - allowing just one image per article? Does every damn thing need to be an article individually!What a disrepectful waste of people's time!In addition:1. Quark does not automatically save cover page as an image - it certainly does not!2. It does not autoatically create articles - everything in a document goes to the Reflow view as one 'article'.Most of all why do I nearly have to do everything, it seems, from scratch?ps I can see you can add pages to reflow view one spread at a time but it is highly likely you have to totally redit every article as pages here aren't relevant - might just as well do it from scratch probably

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 16 Aug 2011, 05:24

Hi Tim,
please allow me to jump in.
First, thank you very much for your elaborate feedback, it helps us to improve QuarkXPress to satisfy your needs.
As Jyoti correctly points out, when you export an ePub your first QuarkXPress layout page becomes a screenshot. Maybe it doesn't appear like thaton first sight. Personally I use an ePub Reader plug-in in Firefox which allows me to drag an element. This allows me to quickly determine what is text and what is an image. If in your case this functionality somehow doesn't work, please send us your file, there must be something strange happening with your file.
About articles, maybe it becomes clearer what they are when you think of them as "line items" of a Table of Content. If you don't need a ToC, then you might as well add everything to one article, yes. If you think cookbook, then an article might be one recipe or a category (starters), depending on how you want your reader to navigate. If you think novel, then yes, chapter might be a good idea. Does that explain it better?
To add components to an article, create one and then simply multiple select all elements and add them to the article with one click. Using a smaller magnification level might be helpful here.
And you are right, using the palette you can't move an element contained in one article to another. However you could just remove it from the article (using the trash can icon) and then add it to another, so requiring three clicks. In some cases this might even be faster than having to move it up or down using arrow keys.
Once content is added to reflow view, it is not automatically synched, as we assume that you might make changes that should not propagate back to the rich layout, e.g. removing extra spaces, additonal line breaks etc. You can manually resync content from rich layout to reflow, though then changes will of course be overwritten.
Hope this will help to get your ePub authoring faster.

And we know ePub export isn't perfect yet, so the next update of QuarkXPress will add some additional features, e.g. allowing you to set up mapping rules to automate tagging based on style sheets.
Please let us know whether you still need some further clarifications or have further enhancement requests, we love hearing from you.
Best regards
Matthias

rickpoet

Post by rickpoet » 16 Aug 2011, 14:39

Hi,I gave the ebook export function a try. It was a bit more of a learning curve than I had hoped in terms of setting up the reflow view.What I had hoped for from this functionality was a smarter output from a paged layout with some options. For example I produce print books of poetry. In this particular case, for the most part, each poem is on one page. Would love to just select output to epub have an option like "Assume new pages are new chapters" selectable which would automatically create a table of contents. Maybe a few other options to add in cover art. Maybe other options to convert a more complex layout into a vector image (say a back page with a listing of other books with their images that wouldn't look right divided up into standard e-book flow).With the current scheme, i felt a bit like I was coding and really straying from the Quark layout tools that I know very well...the end result was an ebook that the iTunes store rejected because the Table of Contents didn't match the pages. (Probably my error but still it wasn't as intuitive as I wanted it to be in the process.)...and me feeling I should have just started with the manuscript as a Word document which seems a little more straightforward in terms of what you need to do to make it into an ebook.Even an optional wizard in Quark that asks specific questions about content that goes page by page if it needed to to ultimately give me the final ebook package that I could then submit to Amazon for Kindle or the iTunes iBookstore would be more what I was hoping for with this functionality in Quark.Thanks for reading.Rick

Return to “eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks”