Output from 'book' to ePub in Quark 9.... do I really need t

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.
Tim Watt

Post by Tim Watt » 17 Aug 2011, 00:54

Thanks Matthias,

I'm working on a short, illustrated book for evaluation purposes in converting to ePub.

I do realise the the ePub output won't ever be exactly as a print layout - which is logically visually rather than ePub's stricter and simpler rules.

Thanks for the tip on Firefox Epub reader - Stanza wasn't correctly displaying the Quark epub output.

My main issue is now is Reflow tagging. This view represents the epub XML structure - ie familiar to me as an outline file - such as using OPML Editor or Omni Ouliner - BUT without the usuability.

i) Why when you add a new article it jumps right to the bottom, at the end of the document. THAT IS SO ANNOYING AND IS A REASON WHY THIS PALETTE IS IMPOSSIBLE TO USE!
Logic dictates a new item should appear directly below the currently selected one.
ii) You cannot move an item from one article to another!
If the reflow action placed components in the right article this wouldn't be so much a problem - but it doesn't and it is.
The only thing you can do is delete and attempt to add the component back in the right place, which of course... you can't - your 'clicks' here do not work! - or rather only in infrequent instances there seems no reason for I can fathom.
iii) Unlike the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzpZYy-md8M - the reflow tagging pallet does not work (and I can't see how to change this in any prefs.) in terms of adding components in the LAyout view - the add components icon is greyed out. So you can add articles so you cannot add components - you can only add blank components - which not withstanding all the above makes the whole thing impossible!
I do not see where this 'one click' is you refer to...?

Update - now I see the issue with this palette seems to be it doesn't 'live update' or somesuch.... If you close and re-open the palette, or if you delete the item from the palette from the incorrect article first - the add component icon sometimes isn't greyed out so functions. I can't quite work it out...

Quark 9 is also VERY VERY crashy when doing all this!!!

Re: "And we know ePub export isn't perfect yet, so the next update of QuarkXPress will add some additional features, e.g. allowing you to set up mapping rules to automate tagging based on style sheets."

Not even usable I'm afraid.... This feature should come after making the reflow have basic functionality.I hope you can put me right...

Tim Watt

Post by Tim Watt » 17 Aug 2011, 02:26

Quark currently won't output ePub at all (I said it was crashy)....... and another issue found is when adding pages using Add Pages to Reflow View - it appends those items only at the end of the reflow document - not the current position in the document in the document I currently am in the layout or reflow view!Even after re-order with the Reflow pallet - they are stuck at the end of the document. What complete nonsense!

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 17 Aug 2011, 02:29

Hi Rick,
rickpoet wrote:Would love to just select output to epub have an option like "Assume new pages are new chapters" selectable which would automatically create a table of contents.

That should be possible when you choose the menu command "Layout > Add Pages to Reflow View" and choose "one article per spread". If your Print layout is single pages when you will have exactly that.
Thanks
Matthias

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 17 Aug 2011, 02:33

Hi Tim,
Tim Watt wrote:Quark 9 is also VERY VERY crashy when doing all this!!!

maybe there's something wrong with the installation, have you tried deleting preferences? Or a faulty document?
I have used QuarkXPress 9 a lot and have crashed maybe once with the release version. May I ask somebody from TechSupport to ontact you please?
Thanks
Matthias

Tim Watt

Post by Tim Watt » 17 Aug 2011, 02:33

After crashing again and re-opening it seems like this faulty reflow view was another example of 'live updating' not working...SO SO BUGGY!

rickpoet

Post by rickpoet » 18 Aug 2011, 12:37

Thanks Matthias, I'll give it a try. Could be my own inability to read the documentation vs. the level of intuitiveness of this new feature...or somewhere in between.

Tim Watt

Post by Tim Watt » 19 Aug 2011, 00:15

I'm now trying a super simple document - and things really aren't much better - spinning beach ball hell, and, really, the whole process makes no sense and doesn't work as shown in the training videos!

Tim Watt

Post by Tim Watt » 19 Aug 2011, 00:34

Specifically, right now - selecting one line as the title tag selects the whole document!Hence the beachballs!Just another dumb error....

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 19 Aug 2011, 00:44

Hi Tim,I created a few of the videos myself and Dan and I both used version 9.0 for all webinars, no hidden tools used. So I can only assume that something is not correct with the installation or something else is different. If you don't want our TechSupport to contact you, can you please let me know how we can help you otherwise?Thanks
Matthias

Tim Watt

Post by Tim Watt » 19 Aug 2011, 01:00

The installer was produced by Quark.I've already deleted the prefs. as suggested.I've been making progress with the lager doct. but am trying a simple text import document and you simply cannot select one item to tag - the document gets tagged!I really feel this is not tested in the real world!

Return to “eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks”