epub format?

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.
adhickley

epub format?

Post by adhickley » 23 Jun 2010, 06:03

Dan Logan (Quark) wrote:We're working on better options for getting QuarkXPress designs onto these devices. We'll share those plans with you guys as soon as they're more formalized.

Dan Logan
Product Manager, QuarkXPress
Hi Dan. Any news on Epub and Quark? Indesign seems to be getting all its own way!Ad

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

epub format?

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 23 Jun 2010, 21:21

Hi adhickley,
please follow the link in my last post, it links to our roadmap for Digital Publishing 2.0, which includes ePub.
Regards
Matthias

adhickley

epub format?

Post by adhickley » 23 Jun 2010, 21:52

Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:Hi adhickley,
please follow the link in my last post, it links to our roadmap for Digital Publishing 2.0, which includes ePub.
Regards
Matthias
Thanks Mathias, and good luck with that. Meanwhile ePub is emerging as a standard right now and being driven by iPad (and its imitators which are no doubt jostling towards production) and Quark is boldly heading off with Baker & Taylor (forgive my UK-centric nature, but... who?) and a proprietary e-reader app that's not yet available. LIke I say: good luck with that :-) Here's the issue: you say "...publishers have not had the tools or technology to easily create this content, deliver it to a broad range of digital devices, or establish a profitable distribution model." The last one is the only one that matters: like it or not, Apple is probably getting there with iTunes/iBooks and it WILL be imitated. That's how things are right now. Your business model begins with making the publisher's life a little easier, but it should begin with the channel to market. Small independents need to get to market with ePub content right now not some time in 2011 and they want to head off down the main ePub road not a side turning to a destination no-one's heard of.I love XPress and I've been a loyal user for years, but every time an issue like this comes up it makes me despair. And look at the competition.Ad

Quarkian
Quarkian

epub format?

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 23 Jun 2010, 22:07

Hi adhickley,
just to prevent any misunderstanding, Blio is not ePub. The Blioreader allows to display design-rich, multimedia enabled interactive media on many devices.
ePub is a standard, that's pretty limited in design functionality and - as you point out correctly - has established itself as the standard for text books.
Therefore ePub is part of Quark's roadmap, it is scheduled for Autumn 2010.
Actually if you use one of our enterprise systems and a content-first approach (e.g. via XMl Author) then you can aleady publish to ePub today. Out of QuarkXPress, with a design-first workflow, then in autumn.
And if you need ePub out of QuarkXPress today, then there are several 3rd party solutions available to export to ePub.
Thanks
Matthias

adhickley

epub format?

Post by adhickley » 23 Jun 2010, 22:25

Thanks Mathias, and yes I do understand that Blio will be very impressive, and I do understand the limitations of ePub. It just struck me as a quick win for Quark. Could you say more about the 3rd party solutions (I'm assuming XTensions)? A quick google search doesn't throw up much.

Quarkian
Quarkian

epub format?

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 23 Jun 2010, 22:38

Hi adhickley,
I know of the EasyPress Service (http://easyepub.easypress.com) and an XTension by CoDesCo (http://www.codesco.com/en/), which seems to be not advertised on their website. Maybe send them an email or - if you prefer - send me your contact details via email and I'll forward your request.

Regards
Matthias

Quarkian
Quarkian

epub format?

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 14 Jul 2010, 21:52

Hi all,
in order to streamline our development of tools and solutions for you, please let us know what your requirements for Digital Publishing are:
p/23870/96251.aspx#96251
Thanks
Matthias

Xebouquin

epub format?

Post by Xebouquin » 20 Jul 2010, 03:12

Hi,I am not sure to have correctly understand the roadmap. At Autumn 2010, does QuarkXPress could product ePub as InDesign do? I mean with an "export function" or with an "XTension" (something like PSD Import)? If not, will it be possible with another software selling by Quark with QuarkXPress? Or, do I still have to use a solution from a Quark's partner?And what about tablets with Branded Digital Publishing 2.0? Will I need to use QPS? Or could I publish an interactive document just with QuarkXPress?Thanks for your explanation.Xavier

Quarkian
Quarkian

epub format?

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 20 Jul 2010, 03:43

Hi Xavier,
yes, that's the plan, to be able to export out of QuarkXPress. And of course also out of QPS.
And an interactive document you can export already today (if the platform you want to deploy to supports Flash).

Regards
Matthias

MikeIDPF

epub format?

Post by MikeIDPF » 31 Jul 2010, 08:13

Matthias,As long as am understanding correctly, thrilled to hear Quark will soon be exporting to EPUB!To keep you up-to-date IDPF is currently working on next evolution/revision of EPUB and hope Quark keeps tabs on progress or better yet participate. Next revision has strong focus on on rich media and interactivity, as well as means to convey page level layouts http://www.idpf.org/idpf_groups/epub21w ... _v.11.html Look forward to hearing about future Quark developments around EPUB.All the Best,Michael

Return to “eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks”