Blio for digital publishing. When will the extension be avai

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.
DebInIreland

Post by DebInIreland » 17 Sep 2010, 05:50

I read with interest that Quark have teamed up with Blio to make it possible for us designers to export our publications for use with iPad, iPhone, laptops etc. From the sounds of it (http://dynamicpublishing.quark.com/en/d ... tners.html) these mobile-device 'books' will have a lot more interactivity than the EPUB files had.But does anyone know when the Quark Xtension for Blio will be available? This is an area I'd like to get into - not just exporting my own publications from Quark to Blio but offering to do so for clients.Many thanks,Deb

Scripting_Ace

Post by Scripting_Ace » 17 Sep 2010, 06:48

Quark has more than 1 product... You might want to check out QPS

HTH

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 17 Sep 2010, 07:23

Hi Deb,
DebInIreland wrote:But does anyone know when the Quark Xtension for Blio will be available? This is an area I'd like to get into - not just exporting my own publications from Quark to Blio but offering to do so for clients.

it is planned to be available in autumn/fall this year (for QuarkXPress 8.x).
We are still looking for pre-release testers, so feel free to send me an email with your contact details (using the Contact button above this post).
Slinte
Matthias

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 17 Sep 2010, 15:03

Matthias, I'm not trying to ambush you, but I got this comment today from a friend. I posted a link to this info on his Facebook wall. He is a book publisher and here was his comment (referring to the Blio Reader)[em]Although it's restricted to interactive PDFs which can only run on their software, which in turn can only run on PCs, which in turn uses Adobe Flash, and we all know Apple's position when it comes to supporting Flash.[/em]
[em][/em]This implies to me that this is only going to work on a PC based device. Which would rule out the iPad. Is my friend mistaken or is he missing something?

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 19 Sep 2010, 19:06

Hi Erik,
the Blio format is not a PDF variant, it is an XML-based file format (XPS), thus open.
It can also embed other file types, thus as Flash. For iOS-based devices you are only going to see a screenshot of embedded Flash files (as Flash is not available on these platforms). On Mac OS X though Flash is possible, so you'll see the animations.
Of course Blio will also allow (not Flash based) animations. And the Blio Reader will be available for Windows, for iOS (iPad/iPhone), Android, Silverlight and other platforms.
Does that explain it?
Thanks
Matthias

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 28 Sep 2010, 06:01

Hi all,

please note that Blio announced/released the first version of its eReader today:
http://www.blio.com/

Its currently available for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Other platforms (such as Android, iOS etc.) will follow. Also more languages are scheduled to be released soon.

Quark is readying the XTension to export for the Blioreader and will start its pre-release soon. If you are interested in joining, please send me an email (via the Contact button above this post).

Enjoy!
Matthias

Return to “eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks”